Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NiMH problems

Started by dgn ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

NiMH problems

2 posts
  1. Hi,

    I am using a PowerShot A570IS and decided to buy a set or rechargeable batteries for it. The user manual say use canons NiMH but it shouldn't matter if you buy another brand right? They all have 1.2V and its only the capacity that differs. I went to the supermarket and bought a energizer charger with 4 energizer rechargables (2450mAh). I charged them with the charger overnight and on the morning it had turned off as it should. I put the batteries in the camera and about 5 min later the low battery came on and 5 min later it turned of and told me I should change batteries! So what happened? I turned on CHDK and checked the voltage and it was between 2.4 and 2.5 as it should with NiMH, so is the camera not designed for 1.2V batteries or why does it turn off. I cleaned the battery connectors on the camera but no difference. Anyway I will try to return the charger today and get my money back and if you guys say it should work with NiMH I will go for Sanyo Eneloop because of the low discharge rate. Anyone tried these?

     

    Thanks for any help!

    Niclas

  2. Hi,

    I am using a PowerShot A570IS and decided to buy a set or rechargeable batteries for it. The user manual say use canons NiMH but it shouldn't matter if you buy another brand right? They all have 1.2V and its only the capacity that differs. I went to the supermarket and bought a energizer charger with 4 energizer rechargables (2450mAh). I charged them with the charger overnight and on the morning it had turned off as it should. I put the batteries in the camera and about 5 min later the low battery came on and 5 min later it turned of and told me I should change batteries! So what happened? I turned on CHDK and checked the voltage and it was between 2.4 and 2.5 as it should with NiMH, so is the camera not designed for 1.2V batteries or why does it turn off. I cleaned the battery connectors on the camera but no difference. Anyway I will try to return the charger today and get my money back and if you guys say it should work with NiMH I will go for Sanyo Eneloop because of the low discharge rate. Anyone tried these?

     

    Thanks for any help!

    Niclas

     

    Knickers, I hate when that happens! Without a pulse (load) test meter we don't know the state of your batteries. Put the batteries in a flashlight (torch?) and run them down. Recharge them and recharge again; then try in your camera. I do not use the quickie type chargers.

    Bob

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.