When connecting a strobe most SLR cameras will automatically set their internal white balance to flash to match its color temperature and won't allow you to use manual WB metering (actually my Nikon D300 does, I suspect others will be similar).
Are you saying your D300 won't let you set manual white balance when you connect a strobe? If so, I recommend you get your D300 fixed because it is broken. My D300 has always let me set WB to whatever I want when I have a strobe attached, be it a Nikon Speedlight or an Ikelite Substrobe.
I used to set up presets for different flash/strobe combinations and just set the WB to the preset for the strobes I was using. The presets were made by shooting a Kodak Gray Card. While this worked well, I often forgot to change the preset between shooting environments. As I was shooting raw it didn't matter a whole lot.
Now what I do is pretty much always shoot with WB on the camera set to Sunny. I then have Develop Presets in Lightroom set up for the WB for various conditions and simply apply the preset to all the raw photos. The Develop Presets were created by shooting the Kodak Gray Card under the appropriate conditions and using the Lightroom White Balance Selector do determine the required adjustments. For example, I have a Develop Preset for my D300 when using 2 x Ikelite DS125 strobes.
There are very, very few situations where using Auto white balance will give you anything useful and this is especially true for underwater shots. Auto white balance averages the whole scene and assumes that it will be neutral gray. If you have a scene that is predominately a certain colour, the white balance will be wrong. If you have a scene that averages to something other than neutral gray, the white balance will be wrong.