Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Leafcutter ant video, Canon 5D Mark II

Started by echeng ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Leafcutter ant video, Canon 5D Mark II

14 posts
  1.  

    I shot a bunch of clips of leafcutter ants with my Canon 5D Mark II and strung them together in Final Cut Pro. Used Compressor to output at 720p, H.264 and uploaded it to YouTube.

     

    It was really dark under the rainforest canopy. Most video was shot at 1/40-1/60 sec @ f2.8-3.5, ISO 1600-2500.

     

    Love the video feature on this camera!

  2. The DOF on the 5d means you can get some great shots which look very different from a similarly priced camcorder. I can't wait to get my hands on the 7d that I pre-ordered for Zoe to take photos on! Honestly, the video on it had nothing to do with my purchase decision! :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

  3. Hey Eric, that was cool, watched it full screen on my laptop here. :)

    The quality is amazing all right.

     

    Hey Simon, Im getting a 7D too.

    I did read Nikon are onto something great as well.

  4. Some of those shots the DOF is so small it nearly looks like a swing tilt lens, what lens were you using Eric?

    Does the 7D still record to H264?

  5. Excellent video. I shot some small tree frogs in HD with the 7D and the new macro lens last week. Quality looks fantastic.

  6. Very impressed with DOF you are getting, just beautiful. I'm surprised there were any leaves left in the forest.

    steve

  7. Some of those shots the DOF is so small it nearly looks like a swing tilt lens, what lens were you using Eric?

    Does the 7D still record to H264?

     

    I used Canon 100mm macro and Canon 24-70/2.8L. Specs on the 7D say that it does use H.264...

     

    Very impressed with DOF you are getting, just beautiful. I'm surprised there were any leaves left in the forest.

    steve

     

    It was a huge forest! :) But I've read that a large colony of leafcutters can de-leaf a tree in 24 hours. Incredible!

  8. Looks pretty cool but i'm still not convinced ... Won't be chucking away the Ex1 just yet ... Its still early days for VidSLR's so I'll wait...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  9. Great footage!!

     

    I love the shallow DOF--makes for wonderful subject emphasis for storytelling.

     

    Thank you for sharing that, Eric!

     

    Mary Lynn

  10. I used Canon 100mm macro and Canon 24-70/2.8L. Specs on the 7D say that it does use H.264...

     

     

    Great I've got the 100mm EF lens....erm I mean Zoe's got the 100mm EF lens! :)

  11. Looks pretty cool but i'm still not convinced ... Won't be chucking away the Ex1 just yet ... Its still early days for VidSLR's so I'll wait...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

    Mate use my technique and buy it for Jackie - that way you have a guilt free conscience and you get some serious browny points too! Of course I have not worked out a strategy yet for when I'm fighting with Zoe over who's going to use it........ hmmmm think that could be a flaw in my plan? :)

  12. Mate use my technique and buy it for Jackie - that way you have a guilt free conscience and you get some serious browny points too! Of course I have not worked out a strategy yet for when I'm fighting with Zoe over who's going to use it........ hmmmm think that could be a flaw in my plan? :drink:

     

    Mate if i had your money then I would (actually you can buy it for her :uwphotog: ) But we are in a modern relationship so she will buy her own camera and I will use it ... :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(awaiting Nikons response)B

  13. But we are in a modern relationship so she will buy her own camera and I will use it ... :uwphotog:

     

    :)

  14. But we are in a modern relationship so she will buy her own camera and I will use it ... :lol:

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(awaiting Nikons response)B

    ;):guiness: nice one!

    Edited by SimonSpear
Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.