Hi guys,
I've been using a housed point and shoot for about six months now, and I'm getting extremely frustrated by the pictures I can't take. Having recently moved out of studentville and into the real world of pay cheques, I'm looking at getting a dSLR setup. My main question is: given that any dSLR is going to be better than the point and shoot, how long will it take for me to feel restricted by a cheaper setup? Here's what I'm comparing (prices in $US to make life easier)
500D plus 10-22 lens plus Ikelite housing
Camera body $720
10-22 lens $790
Ikelite housing $1330
8" dome port $380
Port body $140
2 x Inon Z-240 type 3 strobes $1500
Sync cables $?
Total cost $4900+
5DMkII plus 14mm lens plus Aquatica housing
Camera body $2700
14mm lens $2100
Aquatica housing $2900
8"dome port $440
Extension ring $210
2 x Inon Z-240 type 3 strobes $1500
Sync cables $?
Total cost $9800+
Some more about the diving and pictures I want to take:
- I do a lot of cave diving (and a bit of caving). I'm worried that an ikelite housing may not live up to being bumped across rocks.
- I have no interest whatsoever in nudibranchs, and can't see myself taking macro shots.
- I am new to the dSLR gig, but I intend to learn quickly.
- I do about 100 dives a year, both locally and on trips, but mostly in temperate waters.
- I'd prefer to go new rather than second hand for the Live View and the HD video, both of which I want.
My concern is that upgrading cameras means upgrading housings, and that gets expensive fast. I feel like I'd like to go with the 5DMkII now, and have it be my underwater set up for the next 8 years, rather than go with the 500D and be frustrated with it after two years. I'm attracted to the idea of full frame, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic that I'm going to notice any difference, given my current skill level (none). The question is, is this attraction worth the extra dough (and the extra 6-8 months it will take me to buy the whole system)??
Your thoughts on my thoughts would be much appreciated - I just want to make the right decision! Yet more questions, if you have time and patience...
- I don't fully understand the camera hotshoe to housing to strobe connection - what cable do I need? Have I missed a good article on this somewhere?
- Should I get the ikelite housing for the 5D at half the price, or is this false economy?
- Will I notice the difference between full frame and cropped frame photo quality?
- Does anyone use a 14mm lens a lot underwater? Am I going to find this particularly difficult, or not suited to temperate water ocean shots (vis usually 5-15m)?
- Does anyone know somewhere cheap to buy any/all of the above??
All help much appreciated!