Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tamron 60mm F2 Macro

Started by AndreSmith ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Tamron 60mm F2 Macro

3 posts
  1. Forgive if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any references to it. Looking at these two lenses it appears that the Tamron has several advantages over the Canon.

     

    1. Better image quality ( according to latest Pop photograhy review )

    2. Faster - brighter viewfinder image

    3. Slightly longer working distance at 1:1

    4. Can use it with a full frame camera as well by adding a 1.4 teleconverter. That should make a very decent 84mm F2.8 macro lens on a full frame camera and will probably do more than 1:1 ( Haven't been able to verify this)

     

    Disavantage: $569 vs $400 for Canon.

     

    Any thoughts? Has anybody tried it yet??

    Edited by AndreSmith
  2. I havent tried it but I saw it advertised in a magazine just this morning. I would like to have a play with it

  3. Forgive if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any references to it. Looking at these two lenses it appears that the Tamron has several advantages over the Canon.

     

    1. Better image quality ( according to latest Pop photograhy review )

    2. Faster - brighter viewfinder image

    3. Slightly longer working distance at 1:1

    4. Can use it with a full frame camera as well by adding a 1.4 teleconverter. That should make a very decent 84mm F2.8 macro lens on a full frame camera and will probably do more than 1:1 ( Haven't been able to verify this)

     

    Disavantage: $569 vs $400 for Canon.

     

    Any thoughts? Has anybody tried it yet??

    I have one and I would say that the IQ is not discernably different. The Tamron does not have USM so that it is quite loud focusing which scares some fish away. It does work with a 1.4 quite nicely on the 5D. It seems to focus not quite as nicely as the canon and the build quality seems a bit less, particularly the rear cap which is way too tight to get off easily. I can send you some sample pics with each if you are interested.

    Bill

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.