Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Breaking the unbreakable

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Breaking the unbreakable

6 posts
  1. Of all the UW photo kit I have, I have always considered certain items (strobe arms, ports etc) pretty much unbreakable.

     

    But that didn't stop me breaking my new STiX buoyancy collar after a couple of dives in Canada. The band that holds the buoyancy pieces on the port snapped! I have used them several times before and never had a problem, just curious if this is a one off, or if anyone else has had a similar issue.

     

    Alex

  2. Of all the UW photo kit I have, I have always considered certain items (strobe arms, ports etc) pretty much unbreakable.

     

    But that didn't stop me breaking my new STiX buoyancy collar after a couple of dives in Canada. The band that holds the buoyancy pieces on the port snapped! I have used them several times before and never had a problem, just curious if this is a one off, or if anyone else has had a similar issue.

     

    Alex

    I have broken the buckle (too long in the sun and ozone) but the strap seems very tough. Maybe it got frayed somehow.

    Bill

  3. A guy I know somehow managed to snap the arm section of an Ikelite tray. Just snapped and broke all of a sudden without warning.

  4. I suppose I'm a bit 'OCD' when it comes to spares. I like to have 'strategic stocks' of almost everything. My girlfriend enjoys taking the rise out of me for the number of cans of chopped peeled Italian tomatos there are in the cupboard. My excuse is that I live in the middle of nowhere...

     

    Anyway, I assembled one of my Ike housings the other day and jumpined in hoping to hunt pike and large trout. Lining up on a target I trweaked the rotary control on the rea of the housing to adjust exposure and found it span without making contact the the G9's 'wheel'. The damn rubber pad was missing! Hoping CU will be able to supply a new one before I head off for four days diving at the end of next week...

  5. I have noticed that the bolts through the knuckle joints of my arms are no longer as straight as they were when I bought them but since moving away from the housing with the brittle lenshood, nothing else has broken - yet.

  6. I have noticed that the bolts through the knuckle joints of my arms are no longer as straight as they were

     

    John, you should see an osteopath... ;)

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.