Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

White balance settings on a D2Xs

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

White balance settings on a D2Xs

7 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I'm trying to match the colour temp of my strobes (Inon z220's) to my cameras white balance setting. I believe that the temp of the strobes is 2500K. My settings on the D2Xs go 2300K to 2600K ie in 300K increments, and I can't figure out a way to change this.

     

    1. Is there a way of doing this?

    2. Does 2300K or 2500K make much difference?

    or 3. Do I need to get out more?!

     

    Many thanks

     

    Adam

  2. Hey Adam,

     

    The colour temp of your INONs is 5500-5600K. I was using a WB setting in this range the last time that we dived together. This article might help it make a bit more sense:

    http://www.amustard.com/?page=pro&ext=...news&size=s

     

    This image was taken with a WB colour temp of 5400K

    UK09_am-12959.jpg

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. I have a buoyancy collar and viewfinder washer-thingy (technical term) for you.

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  3. Hi Alex!

     

    Thanks that does help!

     

    How did you set the camera to 5400K? I can only get my D2Xs to set to either 5300K or 5600K-I've been using 5300, but I guess 5600 may be better?

     

    Are you back in the UK?

     

    Adam

  4. There always seems to be a small discrepancy between the K value set on the camera and what comes out in the file. Not sure of the cause - it is usually only by 100 K or so.

     

    Plane landed at 12. Been home about an hour - off to S of France for just 2 days diving on Sunday - so may not get to the post office before I go.

     

    Alex

  5. An hour-man you are keen!

     

    No worries on the stuff, as and when....

     

    Thanks again for the info, ad safe travels

     

    Adam

    Edited by adamdiveruk
  6. Hi all,

     

    I've discovered the answer to setting custom white balance settings on my D2Xs and as is often the case, the answer is to read the little white book that came with the camera!

     

    For completness sake though-if you dial in a value of say 5300K, the next option will be 5600K. however if you use the flash wb setting, and rotate the sub command dial, at a +1 setting, you will get 5200K, at 0, 5400K and at -1, 5600K. I now need to go and shoot some test shots! The info is on pg 59 of the manual if anyone wants to reference it.

     

    I really must get out more!

     

    Adam

  7. I use either the lightning bolt or A setting according to whether I am shooting with strobe or available light. I always shoot raw and adjust color in post using Lightroom. I find that I use the tint slider (green-magenta) a lot and have to adjust the color temp slider whenever I adjust the tint. Sometimes I go bluer when I have to subtract more green. ^_^

    Tom

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.