Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

If I had the room ... Which Prime would you recommend?

Started by WanderingBob ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

If I had the room ... Which Prime would you recommend?

5 posts
  1. I am finalizing my packing for a Tonga Snorkeling and Fiji Diving Trip.

     

    I have a D300 with a Subal ND30 housing, and a monster Zen Dome. The lenses I am taking are as follows:

     

    U/W Tokina 10-17 fisheye, and a Nikkor 12-24 rectilinear. For surface, I will be using the 18-200 and the 70-300 VRs.

     

    If I have the room and want to try another lens, which would you recommend and why? The 28mm f/1.4, or 85mm f/1.4?

     

    The 2 wide angle zoooms will be for shooting humpies at the surface (snorkeling), and the prime may be just an added choice and even something different for a shark dive in Fiji.

     

    Any need to take a prime, if so, which one, and for what purpose?

     

    Thanks so much,

  2. A macro lens?

  3. I would add a 60mm macro lens and a flat port. That would let you take some detailed photos of smaller things that wouldn't fill the frame of your WA lenses, but still work well for fish portraits without too much water between you and the subject.

  4. Hey Bob

    I agree with Dave on the 60mm macro, it's a great lens to have with you.

    Mike

  5. Hey Bob

    I agree with Dave on the 60mm macro, it's a great lens to have with you.

    Mike

     

    Thanks for the reply guys. However, I leave Monday and just don't own a dedicated macro lens. So no time to get anything at this point. I do have a 28-105 with the close up setting, but that won't help.

     

    This trip was oringinally about the humpies, anything else is icing on the cake!

     

    I am using a single SB-105 and as I don't know much about macro, I am thinking that stuff will have to wait until I can afford the better TTL strobes.

     

    Thanks, back to packing.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.