Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ninety days, ninety days? CP 5400

Started by Panda ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Ninety days, ninety days? CP 5400

11 posts
  1. A question for Ike......

    Is it still ninety days till a housing for the Nikon CP5400 is available?

    I'm holding my breath!

  2. The ninety day promise saves lots of web site changing, making it one of the better responses by the glib tongued head of baloney. The Coolpix 5400 lens presents problems with vignetting, and we also have concerns about blocking the flash sensor because of its placement on the camera. Any solution will probably preclude adding external wide angle lenses to the housing. So, we are still cogitating............

  3. My glib answer: just get the CP5000. It's a better camera for UW use than the 5400 - in my opinion of course.

     

    PS, I don't work for Ikelite. I have never even met the guy 'cause he won't drag his butt to Seaspace. It's probably because the air quality in Houston is so bad...

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Thanks dudes,

     

    Cogitate on......

     

    I'll take a breath.

  5. Why is that james?

    Is it something to do with the wideness of the WAL or other factors?

    I'm interested in any glib answers, guesses and opinions.

    I just went out and bought a 5400 because the 5000 was superceded. :)

  6. The native lens on the 5000 is wider. The Nikon WCe68 wide lens for the 5000 is widest (19mm), small, and fits in underwater housings. The wide lens for the 5400 is not as wide, bigger, and hard to fit in an underwater housing.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. and I went out and bought a 5000 instead of a 5400 because better the devil you know. :)

    (not that I knew either of them, but everyone else does!). I had to go to a dozen stores before I found one that (1) had a 5k, and (2) for less than the 5400 was selling for. Now all I need to buy is the housing...

  8. AFAIK the native lenses are 28mm equiv. on both the 5000 and 5400.

    With wide adaptors the 5000 goes to 19mm and the 5400 goes to 22mm.

    Not enough to get too riled up about.

    The only hassle is the bigger WAL on the 5400.

    I still have high hopes for the 5400. Its more what you point it at and how you arrange lighting that matters than camera specs.

  9. Being able to get the wide angle lens in a housing helps too and the new WA lens is kinda big.

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. Optional internal wide angle lens for the 5400 is too big to be utilized. Camera lens physically moves back from the port in wide angle requiring a big port so it doesn't vignette; big enough to block the TTL strobe sensing cell; and the combination precludes addition of any optional external lenses. We can offer a nice housing to operate with the camera, but will be criticized for these limitations. Or will be criticized for not offering a housing.............?

  11. So have you actually decided not to offer a housing yet?

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.