Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How many times do you photo a subject??

Started by Damo ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

How many times do you photo a subject??

5 posts
  1. Hello peeps,

     

    Here's a thought:

     

    How many times do you photgraph a subject on a typical photo dive?

     

    Given the past debates on flashing subjects excessively- I'm curious as to actually how many times wetpixellers typically photo a subject or a scene- before you get the vision you seek- or a result you are happy with??

     

    I was on a dive last weekend- and was playing cat and mouse with a Ballan wrasse. I must've shot him about 10 times- most of the shots were underexpose cause I was too far away- or because of the time lag effect/slow focussing on my digital point and shoot- or some bit of kelp waved into the picture and amputated the subjects nose, body etc etc.

     

    I mean- do you have any rules of thumb for shooting?

    Is it just me and my failings that I seem to be chasing my tail trying to get a shot I'm happy with?

    Or maybe it's now time to move to DSLR-finally?

     

    Best

     

    Damo

     

     

    ps. thanks to the folks who kindly answered my 'repetitive strain' question previously

  2. I imposed a self restrain of 6 shots but must admit occasional strays.

  3. The answer is "depends".

     

    10-15 frames if the subject tells part of the story.

     

    20-30, maybe 40 frames for one subject with multiple compositions of a subject that is absolutely required perhaps, on the understanding that its not a sensitive subject like a seahorse.

     

    Fill the memory card with one subject if its a rare/unusual/ expensive to return or no chance to re-shoot.

     

    Simon

  4. I think about 15 or so at the most. I have a bad habit of suddenly and automatically deciding "enough" and just swimming away to find something else. I really need to work on analyzing my photos more in the field and shooting a bit more to get that perfect shot.

     

    I wouldn't want to fill a card or something on just one poor fish though. Like you said, the effect of strobes on it's eyes for such a long time may not be the best.

  5. That's a good question. I went through my photo folders from Port Hardy last week and it seems that with a mildy interesting subject, 6-10 frames were shot. Mundane perhaps 2. I don't think the kelp forest was minding the flash at all. And the Decorated Warbonnets can swim away if they don't like it so, they can control how many shots you get of them.

    Maybe a better question would be how many shots would/should you take of a stationary subject that doesn't move much that has eyes. Frogfish and Seahorses come to mind. Doubt multiple strobe flashes would bother a Nudibranch but how would I know? lol.

    It's a lot easier now to limit my shots of such creatures mainly because I've been fortunate enough to see them many times over the years. Different story of course if it's a new subject. The urge to get the a great shot of a Seahorse giving birth might overcome my normal restraint.

    When I'm diving with friends, if it's a nice set up and I know they want to shoot the subject too, I'll snap off 3 or 4 and then move aside.

     

    Rand

    Edited by randapex
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.