Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Alternative current or compact fluorescent underwater?

Started by softnuance ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Alternative current or compact fluorescent underwater?

3 posts
  1. I am trying to build a continuous underwater lamp that will do video and still… no more strobes.

     

    I would like to try 2 conventional 40W Compact fluorescent lamp that do 2200 lumens each.

     

    Pros: affordable, easy to replace, no heat management

    Cons: big, heavy

     

    Problem: It implicates alternative current underwater, and no one uses AC underwater: pool, boats, diving, etc.

     

    Is there a reason why I should not use an AC or compact fluorescent underwater?

  2. I just found possible answers: 40 000 Hz with salt water might be a problem. The emitted radiation could be a problem for fragile corals. LEDs produce more Lm/w... it means a smaller battery, less weight.

    Edited by softnuance
  3. Power compact lighting is commonly used on aquariums and corals like it just fine. AC current however is not :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.