Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Film/Program lenghts

Started by Jules (Helioxfilm) ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Film/Program lenghts

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

     

    I am a bit confused. I'm preparing a program with a possible broadcast option (as a free public service program). What are now the standard lenghts?

     

    Half an hour programs are: 24, 26 minutes.

     

    One hour programs are: 43, 48, 52 minutes.

     

    But which are the the current standards? Which one should I choose for a one hour program? (This is the aim, at least for now...)

     

     

    This is a documentary about a disarmament treaty and EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) personnel... Lots of interviews, field footage (even underwater) etc.

     

    Best,

    Jules

  2. Not sure there is a "standard" Jules. Different for every network - and every location. We have a representative that sells some of our stuff - and as long as you are close, she claims you should be fine. I would err on the longer side though - versus the shorter side. Easier to sell something of length that had to be cut rather than the opposite.

  3. Hehe, depends on who picks it up. Some areas they want 52 mins to fill up dead hours with no ads. Some places want 43 so the viewer has to watch ads every 5 minutes. You have to edit accordingly too ;)

  4. Thanks. Since this won't be a commercial film, I think I have to choose the longer version...

  5. Good question!

     

    Another question? if you are making a commercial documentarie and the product is easy to make in like 3 or 4 episodes of 26 min is that somthing that will better sel then a 52 min documentarie?

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.