Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

G11 Canon Case with new options or Patima/Fix Case

Started by marcw ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

G11 Canon Case with new options or Patima/Fix Case

5 posts
  1. I know this question has been asked many times, but now there are changes in the aftermarket products for the G11/G10 Canon OEM underwater cases. Fantasea and other manufactures are building wide angle and fish eye lens for the OEM cases. Minusing the quality of the canon case against all others cases is it still worth getting the high end cases?

     

    The only function difference I see between Canon's and the high end cases is not being able to use e-ttl, but s-ttl and manual will work fine.

     

    I am not mentioning ikelite because I use an inon strobe with fiber optic connections.

     

    I was going to buy Patima or Fix Case when the G11 comes out, but now with the add-on lens, I started to think is it the right decision.

    Edited by marcw
  2. I am not mentioning ikelite because I use an inon strobe with fiber optic connections.

    One can use optically triggered strobes with an Ikelite housing - it is clear! I have - Timmoranuk does.

     

    The non-OEM housings can go deeper, are just all-around better-made and offer better ergonomics ... things like wheels that spin.

     

    That said - I'm with you ... I'm thinking very seriously about a G11 with an OEM housing, Fantasea add-on wet lenses and optical strobes - INON s-2000s.

     

    I was a very happy G7/G9 owner who currently doesn't have an underwater rig.

  3. I have been using the canon underwatercase with the g7 and sd500 for many dives. Never had a problem with construction. It is also a very compact form fitting unit.

     

    ikelike is much bigger, this is why the patima/fix/10bar are under my considerations. If I had to choose between ikelite and canon, I would choose the canon.

  4. One can use optically triggered strobes with an Ikelite housing - it is clear! I have - Timmoranuk does.

     

    The non-OEM housings can go deeper, are just all-around better-made and offer better ergonomics ... things like wheels that spin.

     

    That said - I'm with you ... I'm thinking very seriously about a G11 with an OEM housing, Fantasea add-on wet lenses and optical strobes - INON s-2000s.

     

    I was a very happy G7/G9 owner who currently doesn't have an underwater rig.

     

    I have a G9 with the OEM case, and my gf & I are probably going to buy a G11. We'd like to buy an Ike (or "advanced") housing if possible for it - the main reason we went OEM housing with G9 was because it was our first intermediate camera in the water and are now looking for the next step. OEM housing is fine if:

     

    - you like the small size!

    - you're ok with button operation of shutter button (i like the lever of the Ike, but can live with button)

    - you're ok with difficult to use wheel spinny thing at back for (mostly) manual focus (i like Ike spinny thing)

     

    One consideration for add-on wet lenses is the size/weight of those add on lenses. I'm not certain i'd want to attach a wide angle (possibly +fisheye bubble) to the OEM case as they are quite big to just add on - but saying that, i have not have this experience first hand!

     

    I AM however in the process of ordering some macro lenses as wet add ons, however no experience at using/handling them underwater. Hopefully it's easy, more reports on that later! :D

     

    Cheers!

  5. I have a G9 with the OEM case, and my gf & I are probably going to buy a G11. We'd like to buy an Ike (or "advanced") housing if possible for it - the main reason we went OEM housing with G9 was because it was our first intermediate camera in the water and are now looking for the next step. OEM housing is fine if:

     

    - you like the small size!

    - you're ok with button operation of shutter button (i like the lever of the Ike, but can live with button)

    - you're ok with difficult to use wheel spinny thing at back for (mostly) manual focus (i like Ike spinny thing)

     

    One consideration for add-on wet lenses is the size/weight of those add on lenses. I'm not certain i'd want to attach a wide angle (possibly +fisheye bubble) to the OEM case as they are quite big to just add on - but saying that, i have not have this experience first hand!

     

    I AM however in the process of ordering some macro lenses as wet add ons, however no experience at using/handling them underwater. Hopefully it's easy, more reports on that later! :D

     

    Cheers!

     

    The patima/fix case has the smallness of the oem case, with tll and many lens. This is the reason I was thinking of the patima/fix cases, but it is an extra $800, for that price, I can get a new case and the g14 in 3 years for the same price. I will buy the nice case if I can think a very compelling reason for it.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.