I am a final year computer aided product design student looking at the idea of designing a housing for DSLRs that is not aimed at a semi-professional level and is focused more towards the beginner/seasonal diver.
I have seen the EWA marine bags but feel that these are too basic and dont allow most of the settings to be adjusted, a porblem that I would like to over come.
Does anyone know of products that fit between the EWA bags and say something like the Subal housing?
And feel like there is a market for a product that would be aimed at the season diver?
Thanks in Advance Joss
That's a heck of a long way between the ewa marine bags and subal housings. Are you starting in the right place? Divers wouldn't use the EWA marine bags (even though the manufacturers claim they are water resistent to various depths) but would use solid housings - although I have heard of photographers who are just taking some pic in pools using them. Do you mean to aim for something more akin to compact housings (as in in price?) but for dSLRs?
Do you mean to aim for something more akin to compact housings (as in in price?) but for dSLRs?
Yeah I guess that pretty much sums up exactly the kind of product I am thinking about. Say something more likely to be used by people on holiday who are snorkeling but are also interested in photography (hence the use of a DLSR).
Is there a product a few steps up from the EWA bags?
Joss
Hi Joss,
I'm not sure what your budget is like, but there are certainly SLR solutions less expensive than Subal. Ikelite and Aquatech have SLR housings available for well under half the cost of their Subal Counterparts. But they still can run in the thousands of dollars once you add ports and configure an entire system.
For more advanced compacts, you might want to take a look through the article that we wrote earlier this year that details some of the best options in various price ranges.
I am a final year computer aided product design student looking at the idea of designing a housing for DSLRs that is not aimed at a semi-professional level and is focused more towards the beginner/seasonal diver.
I have seen the EWA marine bags but feel that these are too basic and dont allow most of the settings to be adjusted, a porblem that I would like to over come.
Does anyone know of products that fit between the EWA bags and say something like the Subal housing?
And feel like there is a market for a product that would be aimed at the season diver?
Thanks in Advance Joss
You might also look at the surf housing from Liquid Eye and Watershot. They are for SLR cameras but limited to 10 meters or so. Nicely molded, some from fiberglass.
BVA
You might also look at the surf housing from Liquid Eye and Watershot. They are for SLR cameras but limited to 10 meters or so. Nicely molded, some from fiberglass.
BVA
Just had a look at both of them. Are pretty much exactly what I was looking at designing. Like what they have done with them. Is nice to see a bit of colour.