Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sensor Cleaning

Started by Tim Digger ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Sensor Cleaning

13 posts
  1. Have searched the threads but cannot find anything on this topic. (probably my fault).

    Any info on cleaning of DSLR sensors appreciated, especially kits to use (both sides of the pond please).

    I have one definite spot that is annoying me and several others on my 3 year old Nikon D70s.

    Tim Digger

  2. I use a combined approach, sweeping (with a charged brush) for annoying loose dust, and wet pec pads when there are spots. http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?...r_Hill_Products The liquid doesnt travel, but I could buy it in my local camera shop. There is no a slighter stubborn spot, that doesnt clean, but it only shows up using autolevels on a white image (and not in real pictures).

  3. Have searched the threads but cannot find anything on this topic. (probably my fault).

    Any info on cleaning of DSLR sensors appreciated, especially kits to use (both sides of the pond please).

    I have one definite spot that is annoying me and several others on my 3 year old Nikon D70s.

    Tim Digger

    I have had good results with the kits from Visible Dust. Their instructions seem a bit pedantic but in my hands at least work well.

    BVA

  4. A couple of the companies now make a cleaning fluid that can be taken on airplanes (not methanol).

     

    I use the brush for maintenance and the visible dust FF sized pads + methanol for cleaning welded on stuff.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. Thanks to all It seems theres a fair choice out there most of which works.

    Tim Digger

  6. Thanks to all It seems theres a fair choice out there most of which works.

    Tim Digger

    Take care. I managed to destroy a shutter on one camera during a moment of distraction.

  7. I hope this is just for in field must do dust removal. You're in a dusty environment and will probably get more suspended particles in the sensor once you close up and it settles. I usually just fork up the $50 for Canon to do it before a big trip.

  8. I asked two camera stores about this a while ago after having dust issues. Both sold several types of cleaning product but both said an air blower was the best and safest solution.

     

    I use a small foot pump that is normally used for blowing up boats and etc. Cost ~$20 and so far it has never failed to work on my D200s.

     

    I don't actually place the nozzle right inside the camera, just close to it, with the mirror lock-up control turned on of course.

  9. Good info and works well Here

     

    Paul C

  10. hmm, depending on what kind of camera you use, you may be able to take it into the retailers shop to get it cleaned. I know that canon charges about 20 bucks to clean your sensor if you're new to it. it takes about 3-4 days.

  11. nice!

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.