Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Fixing Subal port cover

Started by JvA ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Fixing Subal port cover

9 posts
  1. I purchased the Subal neoprene port cover for my 8" dome (DP-FE2).

    I followed the instructions: stick adhesive velcro to the back of the dome, after cleaning it with acetone. The adhesive velcro came undone on both sides after just two dives, so I'm not even going to try and replace it.

    Anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? I have some ideas of my own, but I'd like to hear yours before I take out the sewing kit :D...

  2. Dump it. The Subal covers are awful. I can recommend an 8" round polythene or plastic cake box......

    :D

  3. Reef Photo has a neoprene cover for the 8" dome port that works well. From what I understand, they had this cover specially manufactured for the dome port as the Subal one wasn't very good.

     

    I usually have it on before and after the dive and take it off the port after I'm in the water and my rig has been handed to me. Likewise, after the dive I put on the neoprene port cover to protect the dome before handing it to the crew.

     

    You might want to contact Reef Photo (one of Wetpixel's sponsors) to get one.

     

    Ellen

  4. FWIW I would back up Ellen - Ryan at Reef Photo has the problem sorted (not unusual there).

     

    Would also use the plastic cake case for transporting my dome when flying and it goes checked.

     

    Paul C

  5. Seacam make a neoprene dome cover. It fits a DP-FE2 perfectly.

  6. Seacam make a neoprene dome cover. It fits a DP-FE2 perfectly.

     

    Surely the Seacam cover would be more expensive that the Subal port! :D

     

    Like most Subal users I use the covers that Ryan makes.

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  7. I too have the Reef one!

     

    It is great, but you do have to be careful putting it on or taking it off-it can twist the port, which in turn could displace the o ring

     

    Sea and Sea make a great padded dome port case that works well with the Subal ports. It is a little lighter, and a lot easier to pack than solid cake boxes, but offers similar levels of protection. It is, of course, more expensive!

     

    Adam

  8. I too have the Reef one!

     

    It is great, but you do have to be careful putting it on or taking it off-it can twist the port, which in turn could displace the o ring

     

    Sea and Sea make a great padded dome port case that works well with the Subal ports. It is a little lighter, and a lot easier to pack than solid cake boxes, but offers similar levels of protection. It is, of course, more expensive!

     

    Adam

     

     

    I use an ikelite dome port cover for my FE2. It fits very well. I use an ikelite cover for the flat lens port as well.

     

    imasleeper

  9. I've had no trouble with my Subal cover. I travel with the covered port wrapped in bubble wrap and inside a tupperware container.

     

    Phil

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.