Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

?Metapenaeopsis sp./Prawn?

Started by waso ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

?Metapenaeopsis sp./Prawn?

6 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I found this prawn on a night dive in Lembeh:

     

    mg5717prawn.jpg

    By wahrmut at 2009-09-30

     

    ID isn't easy because there's not too much to see.

    I'm so far with Metapenaeopsis sp. but not absolutely shure.

    Any ideas?

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

  2. Nice pic but I wouldn't even go past family Penaeidae with that angle.

  3. Great capture, though! The eye shape doesn't look right for Metapenaeopsis sp., it's too round.

  4. Great capture, though! The eye shape doesn't look right for Metapenaeopsis sp., it's too round.

    You might be right and another web search showed me this site:

    http://www.deepseaimages.com/dsilibrary/sh...ery.php?cat=958

     

    The Cinetorhynehus manningi of this photographer looks quite similar to the one on my picture but they're all shot at the US. :(

    Confusing...

  5. The "equivalent" in the Indo-pacific is Cinetorhynchus reticulatus.

     

    Still, can't tell from this view.

     

    Marli

  6. Well, if identification is not possible I'll call it an USO (Unidentified Swimming Object) :( .

    But thanks for your help anyway!

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.