Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Gobies - but which species?

Started by waso ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Gobies - but which species?

7 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    another picture from Lembeh... and I don't know which species of Goby it is.

     

    mg3496gobies.jpg

    By wahrmut at 2009-09-30

     

    Does anybody know?

    They were tiny (of course) and sitting on a gorgonie.

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

  2. I shot one of these on a sea pen at Nudi Falls and categorized it as Bryaninops loki (Loki whip goby).

  3. I believe that the dark speckles make this a Common Ghost Goby: Pleursicya mossambica

    These little guys are really tough to id.

    Cheers,

    Marli

    Edited by scubamarli
  4. I shot one of these on a sea pen at Nudi Falls and categorized it as Bryaninops loki (Loki whip goby).

    Hmm, I don't believe in Bryaninops loki...

    Look at these pictures:

    http://www.fishbase.gr/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=52430

    http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...=20061020132654

    They seem to have a longer nose although there might be small differences at the same species.

     

    @scubamarli:

    Pleurosicya mossambica might be right - I IDed another Pleurosicya mossambica with completely different colour but this seems to depend on the corals they live on.

    This picture

    http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/tiere/285..._mossambica.htm

    looks quite promising.

    Thank you both so far - any other ideas?

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

  5. Do you reckon these are also Pleursicya mossambica then Marli? Sorry they're not so sharp but they're video grabs.

     

    whipgobyo.jpg

     

    whipgoby.jpg

    Edited by Nick Hope
  6. The one on the seapen, yes.

    The second set, can't tell. Could be Bryanopsis loki, but as I can't see the tail, not sure. It would have a dark spot at the base of the tail.

    Cheers

    Marli

  7. Do you reckon these are also Pleursicya mossambica then Marli? Sorry they're not so sharp but they're video grabs.

    I'm with scubamarli - the 1st looks like Pleurosicya mossambica and the 2nd like one of the typical wip coral gobies (Bryaninops sp.).

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.