Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New Seacam D100 viewfinder shots

Started by StephenFrink ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

New Seacam D100 viewfinder shots

14 posts
  1. I noticed a Wetpixel post regarding the Seacam D100 that expressed concern that the S180 would block a portion of the LCD screen. Which is in fact true. Because of the space needed for all the mirrors and lenses inside both the S180 and S45 viewfinders, they are larger than a conventional housing's viewfinder. That's the tradeoff to get 1:1 viewing and +/- 3 diopter vision correction.

     

    But with a camera like the D100, where the LCD is directly adjacent to the camera viewfinder, that can be perceived to be a problem. Fortunately Seacam also offers a Pro viewfinder. I hadn't seen one of those actually mounted on a D100 until last week, so I shot a couple of photographs of that product to supplement the Seacam D100 shots that Brant Shenkarow shot for us.

     

    The link below shows Brant's photos, plus a few of mine illustrating:

     

    1. D100/S180

    2. D100/Pro

    3. The S180 with the adjustment port off. You unscrew the back viewfinder cap to cusomize the diopter for your own vision (topside of course) and then screw the threaded/O-ringed part back in before diving.

     

    http://www.stephenfrink.com/seacam/sc-albu...00/inc-d100.php

     

    I happen to still prefer the S180 for my personal use, but the Pro viewfinder is a good choice for those wishing to preserve the full view of the LCD, or those who prefer to save some money. The S180 is quite a bit more expensive than the Pro viewfinder.

  2. Thanks for posting these photos Stephen, and the link. I wish I had a viewfinder like the S-180 for my housing - especially since I want to try to start shooting macro at greater than 2:1

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. It would be hard to consider a Seacam housing without those glorious finders! If I could see the histogram I'd be happy. I suspect that's the case.

  4. I wish I had a viewfinder like the S-180 for my housing

    Although a backup camera could be had for less.....

  5. Priorities Kasey!

     

    Seriously though, another US company is developing a 7 element optical viewfinder that doesn't block the lcd at all, and gives 1:1 viewing.

     

     

    OOOOOOHHHHH, and my money is on $700.

     

    SeaCam what?

  6. Ryan:

     

    Sounds interesting!

     

    The nice thing about the Seacam, IMO - they have been around a long time and are reliable, have excellent MECHANICAL controls, etc. Because a nice finder is no good if your camera and/or strobe controls don't work.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. I will agree with you there, James, that if electronic controls don't work, you are out of business.

     

    but, if they do work, they offer an unmatched level of convenience and ease of use, so I think the jury is still out on them.

     

    We'll see what happens in the next few weeks regarding this viewfinder.

  8. but, if they do work, they offer an unmatched level of convenience and ease of use, so I think the jury is still out on them.

    I don't agree with that if we're talking about the Titan D100. In general terms with any arbitrary camera, electronic controls are more flexible, but if we're talking about housing a D100, the controls that matter are incredibly convenient and easy to use on my Nexus. Nothing would make me switch to the Titan and be subject to the standard LMI electronics failures on every dive trip. I suspect Aquatica, Subal, and Seacam D100 owners will say the same thing.

     

    As a two time LMI owner, this jury is most definitely not still out. If they can't fix a stupid external monitor failure in 10 years they're never going to.

  9. So Craig...tell us what you really think...

  10. While I agree with Craig, about not trusting electronic controls. My apprehension is based less on personal experience! I have actually had a problem with the secondary control dial on my Subal D100 housing (the one that does the aperture), which has become very difficult to rotate! Normally i would expect a salt build up to cause that sort of problem but this happened mid dive so I doubt salt. Also the Subal controls don't retain water in that way. I suspect I have got some grit/sand in there or something. The camera was lying on the bottom quite a bit when I was shooting my F100 on long (2.5 hours) coral spawning dives.

    My solution underwater was to switch the aperture to the rear (primary) control dial (a tip learned from wetpixel) - who needs to change shutter speed on a night dive?! And the housing will be heading back to the dealer who will have it sorted again in time for its next dip.

    I guess that's the advantage of mechanical controls - easier to fix either in the field or after a trip, than a black box of electronics.

    Alex

    I must add, in my lovely housing's defence, that quickly totting up files on my hard disk, i have taken over 6000 shots UW with the D100. So it ain't doing bad...

  11. Alex - Using the custom setting function to change the command and subcommand dial from the factory settings is something I have always done on both my F100 and D1X cameras. I use it this way for both UW and topside shooting.

     

    I always felt that the more often used aperture control felt more comfortable to my thumb (command dial) while my finger was on the shutter release. Other custom functions that work for me, and presumably will relate to your D100 as well, may be found in my D1X Field Journal at http://www.stephenfrink.com/seacam/D1Xjournal.shtml

     

    Steve

  12. Thanks Stephen, I will go through your field journal carefully - I'm sure it is full of good info! Alex

  13. Alex, I had the same problem with the front dial knob on my Subal D10. The internal gearing was bad. Subal sent new parts and my dealer swapped them out in a few minutes and I have had no problems since then. I always use the back dial for aperature as it responds much quicker.

  14. Yeah, it was your tip that came back to me underwater, Dave, that saved my shooting. Coral's don't spawn that much so I was glad I was able to keep the camera running. Much appreciated! Wetpixel really is a good place. I'll also pass on the fact that you had a similar problem with your Subal housing to Ocean Optics who have my housing now.

    Alex

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.