Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Help required please choosing my new set up

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Help required please choosing my new set up

18 posts
  1. Hi guys,

    It looks like I'm going to buy the Canon 50D with EFS 60mm and Tokina 10-17, for only £50 more than the online stores i can get it from Jessops or London Camera Exchange on interest free for £750 (for the body only) with the standard warranty etc and local shop help/advice, dont think I can get a better offer ...if u know of one please let me know. I'd also like a good hand held zoom lens for on land maybe one up to 300mm, any advice on that too would be welcome.

     

    My main reason for this post is to ask what advantage would I have in selling my DS125 flash and choosing something other than ikelite, I could hang around waiting for another ds125 or I could sell mine and break away from ikelite and go to inon maybe, what better features does inon offer with their current flashes than my ds125? I dont want to go back to fibre optics and also like the thicker wired bhd connectors, do any other housings offer ikelite connectors without paying too much more? I dont want to be paying much more than what ikelite housings cost as probably you guessed its a lot of money to spend as it is!!! if I'm to remain with ikelite or if its any other housing you can recommend, ports would also be a question.

    Many thanks

    Paul

  2. I'd also like a good hand held zoom lens for on land maybe one up to 300mm, any advice on that too would be welcome.

     

    Hi Paul,

    Congrats on making a decision, that can be the hardest part. :(

     

    The best zoom lens in that range I could recommend for your land use is the Canon 70-200 f/4 USM L. There are 4 to choose from, your choice will depend on how you plan to use it. The f/4 non IS is the least expensive, an excellent value for the money. You can check out some lens test data here;

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

  3. Hi Paul

     

    The port you will need for the 10-17mm AT-X 107 AF DX is a #5503a 6" port or for the 8" port #5510.10 #5510.45 Dome Assy Required. This information is from the Ikelite web site.

     

    http://ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_canon.html

     

    In regards to the DS125, I don't think that there is any other strobe that would support the ttl that the Ikelite housing supports. That means you would be shooting on manual.

     

    I have a like new DS125 strobe for sale if your interested. You will also need a dual strobe cord.

     

    Bill

  4. Thanks Steve, I'll look into them later

     

    Hi Paul

     

    The port you will need for the 10-17mm AT-X 107 AF DX is a #5503a 6" port or for the 8" port #5510.10 #5510.45 Dome Assy Required. This information is from the Ikelite web site.

     

    http://ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_canon.html

     

    In regards to the DS125, I don't think that there is any other strobe that would support the ttl that the Ikelite housing supports. That means you would be shooting on manual.

     

    I have a like new DS125 strobe for sale if your interested. You will also need a dual strobe cord.

     

    Bill

     

    Hi Bill, thanks for the info, could you PM or email me further pics and details about your DS125 thru my profile

  5. I believe that aquatica housings now ship with ikelite bulkheads. Not sure about getting TTL though.

  6. I believe that aquatica housings now ship with ikelite bulkheads. Not sure about getting TTL though.

    Thanks, I saw this one on B&H, I think it was about a grand more than the ikelite

  7. Thanks, I saw this one on B&H, I think it was about a grand more than the ikelite

    I stand corrected! its actually only £300 more, maybe I'm best investing my extra money in an Aquatica housing and D90 instead of the 50D and Ikelite?

     

    If I left my strobe upgrade to later does anyone know if I can fit Inons to the Aquatica (or even the ikelite)?

     

    I've been looking at ports for the macro and noticed on ikelites chart there are 2 nikon 60mm lenses, the 60mm f2 8G ED AF-S and the 60mm D, this one has a focus adjuster for the lens, surely this is needed to have full control of focus? How do you manage without it, do you just use the auto focus, is it that good? You must forgive me I havent made myself familiar with an SLR set up yet

  8. I stand corrected! its actually only £300 more, maybe I'm best investing my extra money in an Aquatica housing and D90 instead of the 50D and Ikelite?

     

    If I left my strobe upgrade to later does anyone know if I can fit Inons to the Aquatica (or even the ikelite)?

     

    I've been looking at ports for the macro and noticed on ikelites chart there are 2 nikon 60mm lenses, the 60mm f2 8G ED AF-S and the 60mm D, this one has a focus adjuster for the lens, surely this is needed to have full control of focus? How do you manage without it, do you just use the auto focus, is it that good? You must forgive me I havent made myself familiar with an SLR set up yet

    :( Oh, I forgot to note Jermy also has a cute puppy!

     

    I have the older Nikon 60 D. I shoot it mostly in AF, but can and do switch to manual focus for some shots. I favor the 105 (also older model w. AF or M) for 1:1 macro and was using the 60 for night dives. Now I favor the Sigma 17-70 (1:2) at night especially for monster Lorena Bobbit worms (oh nightmares!!!).

    Bob

  9. Thanks Bob

  10. Hi Paul,

     

    my setup is a BS Kinetics Housing with a Nikon D200 , Tokina 10-17 mm, Tamron 90 mm and 17 -50 mm . If you look for a Housing for your new Canon , you might consider BS Kinetics Housing . Made of a mixture of carbon fibre and a raisin it is "very " light ( incl handlebar around 2.5 kg ) , Made in Germany ( Quality )and you get get alsorts of ports for the housing . There is a german distributer at the Birmingham Dive Show in couple weeks time .

     

    Herbie

  11. Ok!

    I have my SLR :P Nikon D90, I got it with the NIkon 18-105 lens as as a kit it was only £150 more and also thought it would be a good one to use on land to get me going. Jessops do a real competitive price woith the online stores so I thought it best t o go with them for local advice and a 2 year guarantee.

    I have also just about dorted my deal with my housing.

     

     

    Next is my lenses, Jessops couldnt seem to compete here so I'm getting them online, first obvious choice is done the tokina 10-17 fisheye.

     

    Second lens is my Nikon 60mm, I am getting as advised, a focus gear to override the auto.

    Nikon seem to have 2 available

    The 60mm D or the 60mm f/2.8 G ED A-FS

    Does the latter have manual focus option for the focus gear? (does this come on all lenses?)

     

    Hope someone can help me today on this answer so I can oreder them and hopefully be shooting by next weekend!!!

  12. That's really exciting paul - have fun trying it out! To a long and happy relationship between you and your camera! :P

  13. Thanks Mu :P It is really a dead smart camera, something I've always wanted!

    Can any one help me with my 60mm lens choice? I just ordered my Tokina fisheye :)

  14. The newer AF-S version can be more easily overided than the older since it is AF-S, with the older you pretty much had to commit to using either manual or AF prior to the dive, with the more recent version you can overide on the fly, or should I say on the dive :P , by all mean get the latest one.

  15. Thanks Jean :P

  16. The newer AF-S version can be more easily overided than the older since it is AF-S, with the older you pretty much had to commit to using either manual or AF prior to the dive, with the more recent version you can overide on the fly, or should I say on the dive :P , by all mean get the latest one.

    If I were buying a 60 mm macro today, I would go with the newer version, especially if you don't have the gears to switch between AF/M. That said, my rig can switch between AF/M whenever I choose u/w.

    Bob

  17. With the older lens you could too, in our case you have to add an extra AF/MF selector gear to the older lens along with the manual focus gear, whereas, the new AF-S one only require the focus gear to be able to be alternate.

    Edited by Viz'art
  18. Thanks Bob and Jean,

    I ordered the G ED AF-S earlier on :P

    I take it the US version doesn't make any difference? I've found websites such as the one I just used www.crazycameras.co.uk even tho they have a UK address they seem completely american, I called their UK 0808 number up and spoke to them, and they swear there will be no customs duty or tax onto their price of which I also got discount and free delivery!!

     

    ...the same happened IIRC when I bought Scuby his crate online!

    Edited by Scubysnaps
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.