Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Housing Issue - Button nipples need extension

Started by CDesperado ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Housing Issue - Button nipples need extension

5 posts
  1. Howdy gang... I am looking for some suggestions/comments/ideas to help me resolve an issue I am facing. There are NO bad ideas here....

     

    Here is the deal: I have a brand new housing. Inside the housing, the button have a typical little rubber nipple that would push up against the camera buttons and allow you to access things like the histogram and other digital information.

     

    Unfortunately, the buttons on the back of the housing sometimes reach the back of the camera and a few times did not. Since the buttons reached the camera a few times, I know they are vertically lined up properly, therefore, my guess is that the camera itself shifts slightly while inside the housing, putting the buttons just out of reach. (Basically, I think left side of the camera is shifting slightly forward and the right side of the camera is shifting slightly backwards.)

     

    Right now, I am going to experiment with placing some cork in front of the camera to prevent the left side from creeping up and have also thought about using a felt pad on the back of the camera to provide a slightly extended reach for the buttons.

     

    Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions that they used to address this issue?

     

    I will keep you posted...

  2. Hiya,

     

    Just one thing to check, did you make sure to remove the rubber eyecup from the viewfinder? This may not be an issue on your camera/housing, but on the Sea&Sea DX30/60 and the D30, if you leave the eyecup on, then the camera is pushed forward ever so slightly, so that the buttons near the top of the back panel don't work.

     

    This may help, it may not, but it was my mistake that hopefully other may learn from (I noticed someone else did the same thing, might have been Tom).

     

    Martyn

  3. my wife's 4040/Ikelite housing had a similar issue........I added some extra "cushion" on the spacer inside the housing.......this pushed the camera toward the buttons for a better fit..........doesn't take much to make them work

     

    Karl

  4. Rattus, yes... the eyepiece was removed.

     

    Kdietz.... What did you actually use for the cushion? I am experimenting with felt and cork.

  5. CD,

     

    Is this for your 10D housing? Which one did you finally end up getting? I'm getting very, very ready to order the Jonah 10D housing

     

    thanks!

     

    Stu

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.