Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon EF 180mm f3.5L Macro USM AutoFocus Telephoto Lens vs 100mm with tc\diopter

Started by Turbo ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon EF 180mm f3.5L Macro USM AutoFocus Telephoto Lens vs 100mm with tc\diopter

8 posts
  1. it seems that everyone out there is using a 100mm lens with teleconverters and\or diopters, why not use a Canon EF 180mm instead. does anyone use one of these lens? i am currious as to the depth of field of this lense vs a 100mm with a +5 diopter or 1.7 teleconverter. the only problem i forsee is the camera shake issue.

  2. it seems that everyone out there is using a 100mm lens with teleconverters and\or diopters, why not use a Canon EF 180mm instead. does anyone use one of these lens? i am currious as to the depth of field of this lense vs a 100mm with a +5 diopter or 1.7 teleconverter. the only problem i forsee is the camera shake issue.

     

    It is huge...

    f3.5 compared to f2.8 of the 100mm

    Minimum focusing distance 49cm vs. 31cm of the 100mm

     

    So I am lusting for the new 100mm f2.8L...

  3. The 100mm w/ a 1.4x TC becomes an F4 lens which is not too bad. The Sigma 150mm F2.8 is also great - and I have used it w/ a 1.4x TC also.

     

    The 180mm is a beast - agreed.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. I have the 100 mm/2,8 as well as the 180/3,5. I use the 180 above water and the 100 either alone or with a 1,4 tc under water. Without actually trying, I believe that the benefits of the 180 under water is to small to warrant the much larger size of it as well as the economic risk of flooding it. Where I live the costs of the lenses are such that you can flood three 100/2,8 for each 180/3,5!

     

    regards Bent C.

  5. Canon 180mm AF is slow relative to 100mm AF...extended working distance of the 180mm is desirable for some subject matter...

     

    If I recall optics lessons correctly, the DOF is equivalent/comparable at equivalent magnifcations (anyone confirm/refute)???

  6. Another difference between the 180mm and the 100m with a tele is, that the 180mm will also do just 1:1 – just like the 100mm by itself. So you just change the working distance. The 100mm with a Tele will go beyond 1:1 ... so you have more magnification.

  7. I'll been using the 180mm underwater for half a year now and I have to say that i purchased the new EF 100mm IS.

    But the 180mm have a more defuse background. Its taking a long time to find the focus.

    U can take grate pictures with this lense.

     

    20090602_gulen_0026.jpg

  8.  

    I've been searching for the 180mm topic and finally found it.

    I shoot macro always with 100mm and now interested to bring my Canon 180mm macro underwater.

    I'm using Canon 5D Mark II with Aquatica casing. I was wondering, what port extension should I get? Considering I already have:

    - 18428 AF Macro port
    - 18453 Extension ring

    - 18457 Extension ring

    With the combination of all three stacked together, it is approximately 0.5 - 1 cm too short for Canon 180mm Macro. What's the best solution? If possible, 1 extension ports is better than two.

     

    Thanks.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.