Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What port extension do I need for the Subal DP-SUP 10"?

Started by Sebastian ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

What port extension do I need for the Subal DP-SUP 10"?

8 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    what port extension do I need for the Subal DP-SUP 10" to get optimal results? I couldn't find any info on Subal's website. I am guessing that it's the EXR-65/4, but I am not 100% sure.

     

    Subal DP-SUP 10"

    Subal EXR-65-4

     

    Sebastian

  2. You probably need to tell us a bit more about the camera and lens that you are wanting to use.

     

    For instance with my Nikon D300 and Tokina 10-17 I use a 18mm extension. For the Nikon 10mm no extension at all.

     

    So it all depends..

     

     

    Paul C

  3. Hi Paul,

     

    I thought about using my Nikon D700 together with the Nikon 14-24mm. The Subal DP-SUP 10" is advertised as a dedicated port for the Nikon 14-24mm which I thought is best used with a full frame camera. But maybe I got this wrong and there are other camera/lens combinations that make sense with this special dome port? :P

     

    Sebastian

     

     

    You probably need to tell us a bit more about the camera and lens that you are wanting to use.

     

    For instance with my Nikon D300 and Tokina 10-17 I use a 18mm extension. For the Nikon 10mm no extension at all.

     

    So it all depends..

     

     

    Paul C

  4. Hi Sebastian,

     

    Ah sorry - hadn't realised that the dome was specific to the 14-24.

     

    To be fair it can't be that 'dedicated' or I guess it would come with the required extension!

     

    It is a hell of a big lump of glass though - good luck and may your baggage allowance remain large.

     

    The guy that would know if no one else jumps in here would be Ryan at Reef Photo - just drop him an email.

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  5. Hi Paul,

     

    I asked this question some time ago in this forum, but didn't get an answer so far:

     

    port extension Subal DP-SUP 10"

     

    It's just too bad that Subal's website isn't very helpful here. They only mention the DP-FE4 + EXR-66/4 as the (best?) setup for the Nikon 14-24mm. :) In my opinion it's not the job of the people running shops (like Ryan from Reefphoto) to find out what is the best setup for a certain lens. The manufactures of the housings and ports should do the job for their customers and put the info on their websites.

     

    Anyway, I am currently just calculating how much this would all cost - this DP-SUP is not cheap and - as you already pointed out - it's very heavy. :) But what else could I buy? A Nikon 16mm or the Sigma 15mm together with a fish eye dome port? For you guys shooting Nikon DX the choice seems to be easy: Tokina 10-17mm :P

     

    Sebastian

     

     

    Hi Sebastian,

     

    Ah sorry - hadn't realised that the dome was specific to the 14-24.

     

    To be fair it can't be that 'dedicated' or I guess it would come with the required extension!

     

    It is a hell of a big lump of glass though - good luck and may your baggage allowance remain large.

     

    The guy that would know if no one else jumps in here would be Ryan at Reef Photo - just drop him an email.

     

    Paul C

  6. Well there are several respectable shooters with the D700 - Alex M for one, I know Alex has a Sigma 15 and a 8" port.

     

    Obviously that is a fisheye and the 14-24 seems to be a rectilinear - WA rectilinear lenses seem to be tougher to match to domes, witness the trouble the 12-24 on a DX has caused.

     

    Good luck again - my Subal 8" dome is heavy enough for me.

     

    Paul C

  7. Never tried the DP-SUP - so can't help. Alex

  8. Hi,

     

    Ryan just sent me an email - I hope he doesn't mind that I am posting the info here. He said that the best option he has tested is a EXR-65.

     

    Sebastian

     

    Hi Sebastian,

     

    Ah sorry - hadn't realised that the dome was specific to the 14-24.

     

    To be fair it can't be that 'dedicated' or I guess it would come with the required extension!

     

    It is a hell of a big lump of glass though - good luck and may your baggage allowance remain large.

     

    The guy that would know if no one else jumps in here would be Ryan at Reef Photo - just drop him an email.

     

    Paul C

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.