Hi,
I have a Canon G10 and a Epoque housing. I am considering shifting to DSLR but before that I have a question: I am using the camera flash with a diffusor (white plastic stuff) and wondering if an external strobe like Sea and Sea Ys-110a or Inon Z240 TTL (I can later use them with a DSLR) would significantly improve the quality of the pictures? I also see most underwater photographers with 2 strobes: would one be enough for macrophotographie?
Thanks for you input
Good Day
Jofish
External strobes are higher power, give positioning flexibility (both in terms of lighting angle for composition, and more importantly, separation of light source direction from 'right next to' the lens for backscatter reduction), and in general unless optically slaved (or even then, as your 'internal' flash can be turned way down) preserve the camera's battery longer.
For closeup fish portrait or macro work, one strobe can suffice, although lighting angle might be an issue sometimes (shadows).
Downsides of external are all 'logistics' related - additional purchase expense, more batteries to charge, need an arm/tray system of some sort, some sort of cabling or optical slave sensor, travel bulk, bulk/drag when swimming, all the extra 'task loading' of positioning and setting lighting levels, etc. But I really doubt anyone would ever say one can take 'better' pictures without an external flash....perhaps the one case I can think of is with a small point-and-shoot in a small housing you might be able to 'wriggle' the camera way deep into a pocket in reef or whanot to try and take an image of something, whereas a camera in a bigger housing with arms etc. you'd just not take the chance of damaging the growth (one hopes).
So yes, they improve pictures. But at the usual cost of added complexity and responsibility. On a G10 I am certain you would be able to see a difference, after a learning curve (or maybe even immediately, you may have a much steeper 'curve' than I do.
)