Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New DSLR housing purchase checklist

Started by rainmaker ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

New DSLR housing purchase checklist

4 posts
  1. I'm looking to jump into the UW DSLR world (from the little Canon camera case world I currently have), and want to ensure that I've covered all my basis with different parts I need. With the 7D case coming out in early November, I have a very tight window between when it might arrive and a trip, so I want to basically ensure I've got every little detail and item covered (including the 45 cent parts) ahead of time to minimize the number of rush orders I might need.

     

    Case Related:

    DSLR Case itself (For Canon 7D)

    5503.50 Port (For Canon 10-22 EF-S lens)

     

    Strobes:

    Now, my current stroke - a YS-90DX doesn't appear as though it will work, so it looks like I need to look at a new compatible one. I do see that I can use a TTL cable, but it says "Manual" and I'm unfortunatley not clear on what that means compared to "non-manual". So assuming I go with a new compatible strobe, I'd need:

     

    DS51 Strobe

    Charger (I already have one)

    4103.51 Digital TTL strobe cable

    4086.61 Stroke Arm

    (I may just look at the Strobe package if cheaper, which is the same part listing)

     

    Extra parts:

    Main O rings: TBD (though likely 0132.59)

    Port O Rings: 0105

     

    With that, have I covered EVERYTHING I might need on a boat related to normal operation? I'm just trying to ensure I don't end up missing a tiny little critical part and only have 24 hours to somehow procure it.

     

    Thanks again for any comments and thoughts,

    -Ray

  2. Case Related:

    DSLR Case itself (For Canon 7D)

    5503.50 Port (For Canon 10-22 EF-S lens)

     

    Strobes:

    Now, my current stroke - a YS-90DX doesn't appear as though it will work, so it looks like I need to look at a new compatible one. I do see that I can use a TTL cable, but it says "Manual" and I'm unfortunatley not clear on what that means compared to "non-manual". So assuming I go with a new compatible strobe, I'd need:

     

    DS51 Strobe

    Charger (I already have one)

    4103.51 Digital TTL strobe cable

    4086.61 Stroke Arm

    (I may just look at the Strobe package if cheaper, which is the same part listing)

     

    Extra parts:

    Main O rings: TBD (though likely 0132.59)

    Port O Rings: 0105

     

    With that, have I covered EVERYTHING I might need on a boat related to normal operation? I'm just trying to ensure I don't end up missing a tiny little critical part and only have 24 hours to somehow procure it.

     

    I am guessing here, but if you are shooting the 10-22 lens, I would think you might want (need is a strong word) a more powerful strobe. I would look at the 160. I am not sure why you think the YS90 won't work. It certainly should work in manual mode, if you want TTL then I think you will need an Ike strobe.

    Don't forget things like extra batteries for the strobe and camera as well as some way to download your pics between dives.

     

    Bill

  3. You're going to need a zoom gear for the 10-22 if you want to zoom it inside the housing.

  4. You're going to need a zoom gear for the 10-22 if you want to zoom it inside the housing.

     

    Oh, nice catch. I didn't even notice the little (1) on the housing charts here: http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_canon.html

     

    Looks like I need to add 5509.28 to my part list for larger diameter zoom lenses.

     

    Appreciate the catch, exactly what I was looking for from this post.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.