Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite lens port chart - Dome selection

Started by oskar ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite lens port chart - Dome selection

3 posts
  1. When looking at the port chart [1], for example for Canon 10-22. There is a compact 6" dome listed, and also a 8" dome option. Both options are listed for most WA lenses. However for some like the 10-22 a ** has been added to the 8" column with the caption "** Recommended".

     

    Are they discretely trying to say that the 6" option is not good for these lenses?

     

     

    [1] http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_canon.html

     

     

    Cheers

    /O

  2. Larger domes generally perform better than small diameter domes because they cast the virtual image farther out and utilize a more practical area of the focusing range of the lens. They also typically have a more gradual curve so the virtual image is flatter, also better for a flat field lens. You can expect sharper corners. I would be leery about using the 10-22 lens behind a small dome.

    Edited by diverdave1
  3. I have only used the 8" dome with this lens. I had very questionable results, the corners where invariably soft. I read quite a few posts on adding Diopters etc but nothing seems to have really worked for the authors. Anyway my problems where solved (!!) for me by a flood, which ruined the 10-22. Which was a pity as it is very versatile piece of glass topside. I am now using a Tokina 10-17 which seems to be a far better lens underwater. I have only dived a few times with it but the results are very impressive behind the 8" Ikelite dome.

    As pointed out in the previous post, the 10-22 already suffers from corner sharpness so best go with the 8". Maybe one of the other members has tried both setups.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.