Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

The world's ugliest fish?

Started by bvanant ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

The world's ugliest fish?

9 posts
  1. Very cool site, some ROV stuff as well as some very cool stuff on land.

    The next time I eat monkfish I will be thinking of the video

     

    http://www.sameasterson.com/rovimagery.html

     

     

    Enjoy

    Bill

  2. Very cool site, some ROV stuff as well as some very cool stuff on land.

    The next time I eat monkfish I will be thinking of the video

     

    http://www.sameasterson.com/rovimagery.html

     

     

    Enjoy

    Bill

     

    When I saw the title I thought of the "Hacklehead" Could not find video but some pictures here of one out of water (cuaght fishing.) Interestingly enough, someone in thaat thread thought they were monk fish.

  3. I think Stonefish are uglier than Monkfish :

     

    3845609064_e01440cfd9.jpg3900959160_251f7cbfe7.jpg

     

    ^_^

  4. Isn't the Monk fish number declining to the level were it will be protected? Maybe better to just photograph and not eat;)

  5. Pretty awesome site! I even know some of the ROV's in the videos. Not just the type but the actual ROV!

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. @Autopsea: Nice shots.

     

    Isn't the Monk fish number declining to the level were it will be protected? Maybe better to just photograph and not eat;)

     

    There are so many species that are declining... which should deserved to be protected for future generations.

    Most of people are not aware of this decline and they do not care about it, as eating fish is kind of trendy and healthy ^_^

  7. Yup, they are in decline and vulnerable to current fisheries. It's interesting to look at cookbooks from about 10 years ago, when people like Jamie Oliver were going on about how good bluefin tuna is. Now, thanks to various kinds of adverse publicity, serving up bluefin is seen by many to be unacceptable. I suspect 10 years from now monkfish – along with many other species – will be on the verge of extinction and will belatedly get the protection it needs now. This is how it is with fisheries conservation: a lot of closing barn doors after the horse has bolted.

  8. Interesting topic - what's the ugliest fish at diving depths?

  9. Hehe! Good question Alex - I'd say some toadfish are pretty ugly. Or maybe a lamprey or hagfish? :-) I wouldn't want to go diving w/ those!

     

    Cheers

    James

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.