Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens for 7D

Started by Steen Nissen ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens for 7D

7 posts
  1. Hi everybody.

     

    I've been using a G7 in Ikelite for couple of years, but now i want to make the step and get a 7D. From reading diferent topics on this site, I know I will get the Tokina 10-17.

     

    For a mid-range zoom lens I've also been reading good things about the Sigma 17-70. Is that the best choice ? Canon makes the 17-55. Is the Sigma better because it's a macro ?

     

    Also, If I go for the Sigma, Would it be good enough as an allround topside lens, or would I have to buy a 3rd lens for that ?

     

    Thanks for any help

    Steen

  2. Hi everybody.

     

    I've been using a G7 in Ikelite for couple of years, but now i want to make the step and get a 7D. From reading diferent topics on this site, I know I will get the Tokina 10-17.

     

    For a mid-range zoom lens I've also been reading good things about the Sigma 17-70. Is that the best choice ? Canon makes the 17-55. Is the Sigma better because it's a macro ?

     

    Also, If I go for the Sigma, Would it be good enough as an allround topside lens, or would I have to buy a 3rd lens for that ?

     

    Thanks for any help

    Steen

     

    What housing are you going to get? I know that Ikelite port system is to small to fit the 17-55.

     

    I use the Sigma 17-70 for topside and it's a great lens, no doubt that the Canon 17-55 is better but it's also way more expensive... So I would say, yes, the Sigma is great for a allround topside lens!

    Haven't tried the sigma underwater yet but from what I've read on this forum it seems that many people use with great results.

     

    Regarding the Tokina lens. It's a super lens to use underwater!!!

    Edited by bursprak
  3. The 18-55mm IS is a very good kit lens, and means you get IS above water as well. It is surprisingly sharp and got a higher rating for optical quality than the 17-70mm at Photozone. The old kit lens used to be terrible, but this is pretty good.

     

    Otara

  4. The 18-55mm IS is a very good kit lens, and means you get IS above water as well. It is surprisingly sharp and got a higher rating for optical quality than the 17-70mm at Photozone. The old kit lens used to be terrible, but this is pretty good.

     

    Otara

     

    FWIW the 7D (at least to date) is sold with the 28-135 as the kit lens, though I heard the 18-55mm IS that is in the Rebel is much improved as you mentioned

  5. Sorry I was trying to be clear although its a 'kit lens', its a very good one, canon's 18-55mm kit lenses used to be fairly abysmal until this one. You're quite correct it doesnt come with the 7D as a kit but Im sure it wouldnt be hard to manage other than people not knowing about it trying to convince you its really a bad lens, its very easily bought as a stand alone lens as well.

     

    None of the 7D kit lenses seem to be much use for underwater. The 15-85mm might have been a possibility, but minimum focus is 35cm, and its a wider diameter than the 17-55mm, so presumably wouldn't fit ikelite either.

     

    Otara

  6. When I bought my 40D almost 2 years ago, I did a lot of reading and opted to get the Sigma 17-70 as my all-around topside lens because of the poor reputation of the Canon kit lenses at that time. I'm not an expert and I haven't kept up on the reviews, so take the following for what it's worth: The Sigma's been good, not great. The zoom range is nice, but I think the IQ isn't quite there compared to some of my other lenses I've since picked up. If the Canon 18-55 is much improved as Otara says, I'd probably lean towards that if only for the IS. My 2 cents...

     

    Phil

  7. Thanks for the comments guys. It seems like they are all good lenses, and I would be happy with whatever I choose.

     

    About housing i am choosing between Ikelite or Aquatica

     

    Steen

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.