Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite housing to port body connection

Started by leighd ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite housing to port body connection

6 posts
  1. I have an ikelite housing for my d90 and i was just curious about the connection with the 2 locks to the port body and dome, i understand it is a little loose and you can turn the dome easily and when underwater the pressure keeps the dome on, though i looked at mine today underwater and the locks do not even touch the port body and are around 3mm off, is that much of a gap usual?

    I no problems with water coming in, it justmakes me a bit nervous when the locks do not even touch the port when underwater, and if there could be any problems with doing 50/50 shots where the pressure is not really holding the dome on.

     

    Thankyou.

  2. I've never noticed a gap between the locks and the port although I've never looked, so will next time I'm in the water. The o-ring does compress under pressure. I once had the wrong port for a lens and while the lens was clear of the port at the surface if made contact with the port at depth. Taken a few 50-50 shots and never had a problem. I think if the locks where any tighter on the port at the surface it would be very difficult getting the port on and off.

    Edited by KenByrne
  3. I've also never looked at the locks while underwater, but now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if they're not in contact with the chamfered face of the extension, especially at deeper depths.

     

    As long as your locks are "clicking" solidly into place in the extended position, and you do indeed have an o-ring in there, I'd say you're good to go.

  4. No worries about splits. I have spent a fair amount of time at or near the surface with that same gear and never had a leak.

    As they said, just make sure the locks click.

  5. Ikelite just updated their webpage to indicate that all housings made after November 1 will now have 4 port clips rather than one. Completely off topic, but more interesting to me, they've also added a threaded focus light attachment to the top of the housing.

     

    Eric

  6. woot!! I called the top mount announcement happening for DEMA at least! :)

     

    This is good news. Although I'm in the category of those who has concluded the port movement on the surface (rocking with the weight of the big dome) is more psychologically than physically risky, I definitely applaud more locks as well. :) Thanks for the heads-up, hyptest! I see they'll even mod older housings, and there's a new wide port ring as well.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.