Drew......Wow, so how do you like the Drobo Pro? I'm still learning a few things with it and so far, no complaints. What size HDs do you have running in it? I still have 3 open ports left.
'
It is really good in some respects and not so good in other respects, but some of those other respects I sort of knew would be there, but not quite so bad 
Basically with all the hard drives and additions I always have I wanted something that is easy to configure and use as a general bulk back-up storage so have been eyeing the Drobo for quite awhile. Hooked it up via iSCSI, slapped some drives in, very easy as you noted, set up for two drive failure and works as advertised. For instance, iTunes music and movies are touching 1 Terrabyte just about and I really like to have at least Two (sometimes 3) copies local and one someplace safe. Got to be a pain and splitting drives, so I made a two terrabyte Volume on the Drobo, copied one of the two sets Drobo, freed up one of the other drives. I am going to put a 2 Terrabyte drive into one of my other RAID/External Enclosures to I can consolidate on that end.
It is also nice to have items that I do not use often, and have to once in awhile look for, on the Drobo in case I need it (old projects for instance.)
On the BlackMagic tests I did not get quite as good a rate as you did, but it was okay. But that was not my real intent, I am looking at this as bulk storage. It was slow transferring files over. Slower than I expected (even knowing it is slow.) Really it is not bad for smaller files, but I have some large video files and moving over Terrabytes of information was slow. (No big deal for photos and things.) All the drives are 7,200 RPM, some different sizes, 3 or 4 1 Terrabytes, 3 or 4 1.5 Terrabytes and now 1 2 Terrabytes.
And the real kicker, replacing a drive. Followed the directions, decided to swap out a 1 Terrabyte for a 2 Terrabyte for S&G purposes, but the data is "at risk" and not properly protected until it rebuilds. It started at 270 hours according to the estimate. It has been building for a bit now (few days) and down to about 120 hours last I checked. Spoke with support and they said that is not very off base based on the fact that I had about 80% filled when replacing the one drive, and also they mentioned Seagates should have a jumper removed to help rebuild times. Last tip was to not have the unit connected to the computer so the software does not keep on checking (Best way they said is to shut down the computer then disconnect the DroBo.) Note that all 8 bays had drives in when I swapped out. When I put drives in before all the bays were filled, was quick and a non-issue it seemd.
Right now I will let it rebuild (no need to have it plugged into the computer while doing so) and may go poking around later when it is done to do some more testing, change jumpers and what not. It very well could be something I did, though many reports out there do say the rebuilds are slow.
But for bulk storage with a unit that is pretty much easy to just grab and take someplace it is fine. And it is VERY quiet, which is nice. Being able to throw whatever drives I have around into it is also good. Basically, all the plug and play options/functions/expansion is what I was looking for. I actually got a second one (not yet set up) since I liked the first one generally (but got it before the rebuild
) and will hook it up to clone/back-up the computers automatically and probably will use it for iTunes and other things that should work fine where the speed should not be a big an issue (having the entire library available for Apple TV). I still want to kick the tires more on it.
I will use my other enclosures/RAIDs for the heavy lifting and will move things from the Drobo back to some of the faster items by copying overnight. In other words as a "all-in-one not having to think too much bulk enclosure expandable option quiet unit with some redundancy for a copy of things locally so I do not have to pull out a ton of hard drives" it is fine but for the rebuild time, which could be something related to the way I have it set up, dunno. I would probably do video edits and renders to some of my other externals and/or 3 internal bays in the MacPro, with various RAID configurations.
The Neat Video plug really works well as well. Next week I'm reviewing a mulitmedia bag set up from Think Tank, so you probably won't have to shell out for that too.
My concern, once I go to that great cinemaphotographer in the sky, who the heck will get all this stuff. My wife certainly has no use for it.
Steve
Great, camera bags. You just had to Steve. I collect Pelicans, bags and the rest it seems sometimes in the hunt for the perfect way to transport things
As to who gets it? Well I got my wife hooked on underwater photography and videography, so I know where my stuff will wind up. Heck, it winds up there now if I do not keep my eye on her enough 