Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

New iMac's released

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

New iMac's released

13 posts
  1. Yeah they do and the price has come down too! iMac's now come with 4 USB 2 ports and 1 FW800....shame they don't come with another FW800 port... or even a eSATA

  2. That's the big downside of this new iMac. Reduced expandability. Who needs more usb ports. It's the FW 800 or even 400 ports you need. I don't know how many ethernet ports it has but I use both of mine as well.

    Steve

  3. That's the big downside of this new iMac. Reduced expandability. Who needs more usb ports. It's the FW 800 or even 400 ports you need. I don't know how many ethernet ports it has but I use both of mine as well.

    Steve

    You can daisy chain FW ports pretty easily. While you can always add a USB hub, that's not as good.

     

    (I agree I wish they had more ports, but it's not a huge deal IMO... at least they're not dropping them except for the Pro, like they did with the MacBooks)

  4. You can daisy chain FW ports pretty easily. While you can always add a USB hub, that's not as good.

     

    (I agree I wish they had more ports, but it's not a huge deal IMO... at least they're not dropping them except for the Pro, like they did with the MacBooks)

     

    Also great additions are IPS display, support for up to 16GB RAM, and displayport-in feature, so you can still use the beautiful 2560x1440 screen in a few years when the rest of the machine goes obsolete.

     

    I'm really tempted to upgrade my 24"....

    Edited by Gombessa
  5. Personally, I wouldn't want it, however, I love that it has a built in card reader. Don't know how many etherports it has, hopefully, 2

    Steve

  6. Personally, I wouldn't want it, however, I love that it has a built in card reader. Don't know how many etherports it has, hopefully, 2

    Steve

    Agree, built in SD card readers are great! Shame they didn't include one, but at least USB ports are easily expandable. iMacs only have one ethernet port. I think the Mac Pro's (desktops/towers) have two, but no other Macs have two.

     

    I *really* wish they would include eSATA, though. That's my biggest add-on wish.

  7. Seems like I bought my new 24" iMac just a tad too early!

     

    Just my luck.

    Mark

  8. My Mac Pro has 2 ethernet ports and I just filled up the 2nd one when I received the DroboPro. Glad it was there though I could have used an 800fw if I needed to.

    Steve

  9. My Mac Pro has 2 ethernet ports and I just filled up the 2nd one when I received the DroboPro. Glad it was there though I could have used an 800fw if I needed to.

    Steve

     

    I would love to see some more slots for expansion cards. 4 get filled up quickly...

  10. Seems like I bought my new 24" iMac just a tad too early!

     

    Just my luck.

    Mark

     

    Our 24" Macs won't stop working just because there is now a 27".

  11. Far from it Eric, mine is on overdrive, just the 16x9 would have been nice. OK, I'll drool until maybe next year.....

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.