Hey everybody,
I'm currently trying to figure out what exactly I will need for my underwater foray. I'm a professional photographer (product photographer), and use Canon cameras. I'm thinking of using my 5D Mark II body as "THE" camera because it can do both photo/video.
Now, this is going to be a hobby (living in Montreal, Canada limits to subject matter a little more than say Cayman), and I don't want to break my piggy bank too much, though I can afford more if I "need" to. Because this is going to be my first underwater experience with a camera, I'm curious to know what I should get and what I should expect on the first dives? I read that some ppl can't believe how hard it is to control everything underwater (size, weight, flash, etc).
I've been swimming through your various posts, and will be going with Ikelite products. Quality/price is sounding great. Some ppl appear to love 2 strobes, some say start with 1, you'll have your hands full. I'm thinking should I go all out - get 2 strobes? But that starts making me think I'm digging into my piggy again.
So:
Ikelite 5D mII housing
8" dome + matching port for 17-40mm lens.
My reg zoom lens is a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (for work I use the 90mm tilt-shift exclusively hehe, try fitting that!).
1 or 2 DS160 strobes.
What are things to be aware of? Any stories of your first times? How did you start? Jumped in with DSLRs? 1-2 strobes? Curious to hear your stories.
Thanks in advance, great posts by most of you!
-Vadim