Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

The famous iceberg shot

Started by Cal ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

The famous iceberg shot

11 posts
  1. Hey guys

     

    Theres a poster that I see quite regularly. Its from national geographic I believe.

     

    Its an amazing over/under of an iceberg. I'm not even sure if its a real photo. It looks like this

     

    Anyone know who took it?

     

    Cal

  2. Maybe it was taken by two different photographers?

     

    Laurent Ballesta used it in his book - so someone who has Planet Mers to hand can check the photo credit.

     

    Alex

  3. That composite image has been used in so many magazines, textbooks, and advertisements, it's incredible. Credited to Ralph A. Clevenger/CORBIS.

  4. Ralph Clevenger.

     

    He told me it paid for his house in Santa Barbara.

     

    It is a composite photo (PS)

     

    It would be physically impossible to actually take the shot.

     

    Sorry, didn't see the above post.

    Edited by davephdv
  5. Wow!

     

    Thanks for the info guys

     

    Cheers

     

    Cal

  6. It is not real.

    See: http://tinyurl.com/gzv5h

    I've seen this image alot over the years, always wondered how it was done.

    I thought it was just two images merged in PS.

  7. A little frustrating of course is that we cannot even be sure that this is what an iceberg looks like underwater, as even this part as depicted in the image is a topside image flipped before merging in PS

  8. Very interesting info. Thanks.

     

    Also north and southern hemisphere icebergs typically have different structures because of different formation processes.

     

    Alex

  9. Also north and southern hemisphere icebergs typically have different structures because of different formation processes.

     

    Er - is that above or below the waterline? (sorry couldn't resist Alex).

     

    Seems to me there is a gap in the market for some decent iceberg shots then. Where did I leave that 5mm shorty......

     

    Paul C

  10. It would be real cool if it were real. But then, yeah, it would be kind of impossible to capture that. Ooooooh the wonders of post processing. :)

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.