Skip to content

Copyright Issues, Non-Payment, Fraud, Theft / Archived topic

web based question

Started by pmerc ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

web based question

6 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    My apologies for cross posting.

    I know a number of people here have their own personal webpages with their UW photos on there. I have a question for you if you have a spare moment. Do you know how to disable the right mouse click function and/or protect images from being saved? I know there are indeed ways around most protection but I thought it would at least discourage most people.

     

    Thanks!

     

    Cheers,

    Phil

  2. I'm not a big fan of doing that because people can still just screenshot or look for the source of the image and access it directly (unless you prevent that, as well), but a simple google search yields answers.

     

    http://www.google.com/search?q=disable+rig...lient=firefox-a

    Edited by echeng
  3. This was an interesting quote I found online, in reference to disabling right-clicking. I tend to agree

     

     

    "And expect it to do what, exactly? Protect content? Not a chance.

     

    To the OP: read around. Content cannot be protected on the Web. People that might take it for redistribution (rather than personal use, which shouldn't be an issue) know how to get around any trick you try to use. The end result is stolen content, but legitimate users that can no longer use their browser properly.

     

    Watermark content, or reduce its quality. Make sure that there's no point in redistribution."

    Edited by sgietler
  4. Hi everyone thanks for the opinions and help with this!

    Cheers,

    Phil

  5. Watermark content, or reduce its quality. Make sure that there's no point in redistribution.

     

    I would also add:-

     

    "Watermark AND reduce quality. Ensure metadata, detailing copyright notice, contact details etc is embedded within the image file".

     

    Nothing can stop someone lifting your work, but you can make life easier for yourself by making it easier to find and recover damages when the infringer turns out to be a commercial organisation.

  6. Its pretty pointless. You can get around this pretty easily. If you feel that you need to have protection on your images you are better off just doing a light watermark.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.