Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Cleaning dust behind the lens - G10

Started by xcetra ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Cleaning dust behind the lens - G10

2 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    For half of my trip in Indonesia I had a noticeable dust particle behind the outer lens of my Canon G10. It actually shows up in photos and video.

     

    How does one safely remove it without risking getting it in the sensor? A Canon technician a while ago (it happened to a lesser extent on my earlier A620) said to ignore it as it won't affect image quality and you risk getting it into the sensor. Unfortunately, this particular particle affects the image quality.

     

    I was thinking about blowing air into the lens? Can I use a scuba tank to blow air into it because I don't have canned air.

     

    Thanks!

     

    Jason

  2. For my g7, I place a shop-vac vacuum around the lens when the camera was on. The 3" diameter hose. Left the vacuum on for 10 minutes. The dust particle did move, but I did not remove it. You might have better luck. There was no damage to MY camera(I can not say the same for yours).

     

    BTW, doing this might remove the particle, but another particle might be sucked in. Hope this helps.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.