Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Camera choise / Wide Angle vs Fish Eye lense

Started by Mario R ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera choise / Wide Angle vs Fish Eye lense

3 posts
  1. I have a point and Shoot camera and I'm in the market to upgrade. I went to a camera shot during the last weekend and I chatted with the salesman about underwater photos. I dont know which one to choose betwen Nikon D90 or D300s. He told me that both can take excellent picture, they're builded almost identical except for the case (weather proof, shock proof, etc...) and AF sensor points. My other question was about lense : The salesman recommand a wide angle instead of a fish eye lense. The reason is to avoid the curving effect.

     

    Questions : What do you think about D90 vs D300s?

     

    Questions : about FE VS WA lense?

     

    Thanks for the advice.

     

    Mario

  2. Questions : What do you think about D90 vs D300s?

    If you have the cash for both go to the D300s.

    It is not only the extra armor, it's operation is faster as well.

     

    Questions : about FE VS WA lense?

    Underwater I do the major part of my WA work with a FE lens.

    Topside is the opposite.

    What I recommend is the combo 10.5mmFE + 10-24mm.

    You will have a great UW FE lens that can be used topside sometimes.

    And a great Topside WA lens that also has it's uses UW.

     

    On top of that I would probably wait to try the new 85mm micro on the macro side of it.

     

    Good Luck

  3. Hey Mario

     

    Decisions, decisions eh?!

     

    I agree with Mariozi, if you can afford the D300, get it. You will not be disappointed.

     

    On the WA lens, I agree as well that what you use topside is not what you would use below. I'm a big Nikon 12-24 user topside but underwater, give me the Tokina 10-17. It's terrific. But topside? I don't like it! I havn't seen much about the new Nikon 10-24 but that is, as far as I know, rectilinear - whereas the Tokina is definitely fisheye at the 10mm end. I'd suggest a good look at the Tokina.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.