Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

No Backscatter Behind Subject Please

Started by xcetra ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

No Backscatter Behind Subject Please

5 posts
  1. Hey All,

     

    Sorry for the backscatter question as it's commonly questioned. I did a search but couldn't find the answer to my question.

     

    I understand the concept of why not to point a strobe directly at the subject being shot to avoid backscatter in front of the subject - placing the subject at the trailing edge of the light cone. But, from what have been experiencing is backscatter behind the subject. This positioning from what I understand will light the subject and everything behind the subject. There's no way to just light the subject only?

     

    Does anyone try to "focus" the strobe's light cone so it's not so wide?

     

    For me, I am using a g10 with one YS-110a strobe.

     

    Thanks!

     

    Jason

  2. Hi Jason,

     

    Of course you can restrict the coverage of a strobe with a snoot, so it only lights up what you want. But this is normally necessary. Strobe aiming is relatively (often literally) if the rest of your technique is spot on.

     

    Post a picture - so we can see the problems you are experiencing.

     

    Alex

  3. Hey,

     

    Here's a couple pictures with what I am getting a lot in terms of backscatter. My single strobe is positioned up and screen left. More lately I'm trying to position the strobe directly above and pointed at the lens. Am I doing something wrong?

     

    http://www.jasonjue.com/public/20090915.jpg

    http://www.jasonjue.com/public/20091014.jpg

     

    Since there's was a good amount of particulate matter in the water, is there any way to light this so I wouldn't get backscatter?

     

    Do people usually get some backscatter and just remove it later in post?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Jason

     

    Hi Jason,

     

    Of course you can restrict the coverage of a strobe with a snoot, so it only lights up what you want. But this is normally necessary. Strobe aiming is relatively (often literally) if the rest of your technique is spot on.

     

    Post a picture - so we can see the problems you are experiencing.

     

    Alex

  4. Hi Jason,

     

    Proper lighting is probably the biggest secret to underwater photography. Its all about angle of your strobe and output and trying to eliminate as much of the water column as you can (getting as close as you can). Here are some really basic hints.

    Before you even start with your camera make sure that your buoyancy is up to scratch. Something disturbs the viz and if its you - then by taking that out of the equation you are already on your way. If you come across a great subject (like those ghost pipefish you pictured) then take a little time to get your strobes set up away from the subject, then move in really slowly and avoid excessive movement kicking up the particulate.

     

    keep the distance between the subject and camera to a minimum - get close!!!!

    angle your strobe away from the subject so that the subject is lit with the ends of the strobe beam. you can work out how wide your strobe beam is by simply bracketing your strobe angle.

    use low strobe outputs the first thing people tend to do is blast the hell out of each image. The key here is SUBTLE lighting. start at the lowest setting (1/8th) and go up maybe one or two increments MAXIMUM.

    The only way you can see particles in the water (backscatter) is because your strobe light is reflecting on them thus your camera will pick it up.

     

    And thats it!!! None of this is difficult, it just takes time to perfect. The more pictures you take - the more likely you are of finding the "sweet spot" angle of your strobes, then you will know this angle in the future and all your pictures will be backscatter free!! So get out there and spend a few dives working on getting that strobe angle right, remember LOW outputs and get close!!

     

    Pete Mesley

     

    www.petemesley.com

     

     

     

    Hey,

     

    Here's a couple pictures with what I am getting a lot in terms of backscatter. My single strobe is positioned up and screen left. More lately I'm trying to position the strobe directly above and pointed at the lens. Am I doing something wrong?

     

    http://www.jasonjue.com/public/20090915.jpg

    http://www.jasonjue.com/public/20091014.jpg

     

    Since there's was a good amount of particulate matter in the water, is there any way to light this so I wouldn't get backscatter?

     

    Do people usually get some backscatter and just remove it later in post?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Jason

  5. Hm, thanks a lot!

     

    Subtle is a good point. I've always wondered about that. You can have a bright strobe setting and then less bright shutter/aperture settings or the other way around. Sounds like patience is also key to play around with different settings. I was playing around with trying to get black backgrounds a lot and so needed a somewhat brighter strobe setting. I usually set mine to 50% on my YS-110a, and aperture f8, shutter 1/500.

     

    Time to get back in the water and play more.

     

    jason

     

     

    Hey,

     

    Here's a couple pictures with what I am getting a lot in terms of backscatter. My single strobe is positioned up and screen left. More lately I'm trying to position the strobe directly above and pointed at the lens. Am I doing something wrong?

     

    http://www.jasonjue.com/public/20090915.jpg

    http://www.jasonjue.com/public/20091014.jpg

     

    Since there's was a good amount of particulate matter in the water, is there any way to light this so I wouldn't get backscatter?

     

    Do people usually get some backscatter and just remove it later in post?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Jason

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.