Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

5D Mark II and Seaflash 150

Started by dkrm ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

5D Mark II and Seaflash 150

7 posts
  1. This may be basic question but I can't seems to figure it out even after reading the manuals (strobe and camera).

     

    I just acquired Seacam 5D M2 housing and Seaflash 150. In order to shoot TTL, instruction manual says that all the wire in the must be connected between strobe and camera bulkhead, set the strobe to TTL and use S6 socket. I tested it and it worked as it should be. As expected the maximum shutter speed I can use is limited by max sync speed of the camera which is 1/200 when strobe is set at TTL.

     

    However, when I set the strobe to manual power output (there is 7 settings on the strobe) thus disabling TTL, I still cannot set the shutter above 1/200. As a matter of fact, I cannot even change the shutter speed on my camera to be above 1/200. Is this normal? When I remove all the pin except one (trigger wire), I can set the shutter speed to whatever I want.

     

    I don't use TTL that much but it seems annoying that I can't do use TTL and high shutter speed on same dive.

     

    Look forward for experts here to shed some light. Thanks

  2. Yes, that is normal. If you had a Canon 580 flash attached, the camera would behave the same way. The only way to go faster w/ a TTL flash attached would be FP sync - which I don't know if the Seaflash supports.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Yes, that is normal. If you had a Canon 580 flash attached, the camera would behave the same way. The only way to go faster w/ a TTL flash attached would be FP sync - which I don't know if the Seaflash supports.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Thxs James. Is there any potential that I might damage the camera or strobe if I connect only one wire? I rather have high speed capability than TTL

  4. You also have to be careful about with shutter speeds higher than 1/250 using non-canon strobes without highspeed sync. With the 5D2, the camera will start missing the flash sync at 1/320 and you get a big black mirror band at the bottom of the picture. This is all shooting in manual mode with 3 pins connected.

    Edited by Drew
  5. You also have to be careful about with shutter speeds higher than 1/250 using non-canon strobes without highspeed sync. With the 5D2, the camera will start missing the flash sync at 1/320 and you get a big black mirror band at the bottom of the picture. This is all shooting in manual mode with 3 pins connected.

     

    Drew,

     

    Thank you. With my VERY limited experience using seaflash 150 with 5DM2 using S6 socket but with only one pin connected, I have yet to encounter black band at the bottom when I shoot above 1/200. I was going thru the image library last nite and noticed there are occasions I shoot at 1/500 and it came out without the black band. But I guess I was just lucky since I only have 10 dives so far with the system.

     

    Am I right to assume that you are saying that 5D2 will be limited to 1/320? Is there work around this besides changing the system? Apologies to ask such basic question. I was never a flash/strobe user until i get into underwater photography.

  6. I'm not saying it will happen but it can happen. I've been reviewing the S&S housing with the 5D2 and on occasion pushed to 1/320 and have the black band.

  7. OK thanks for the clarification.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.