Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Problem opening images in CS3

Started by Don Silcock ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Problem opening images in CS3

6 posts
  1. I am still using Photoshop CS3 and somehow I have managed to screw up the settings so that the only way I can open image files is from Lightroom - Edit In CS3, or from Bridge.

     

    If I do that I can work in CS3 with no problems.

     

    However if I try to open images directly in CS3, the Open file browser (very) briefly appears and then dissapears again, the software locks up and I have to go to Task Manager to shut it down.

     

    I have tried all sorts, but to no avail....

     

    Any handy hints or suggestions?

     

    Don

  2. Just worth a guess Don,

    Do you have the correct RAW plugin for your camera installed? or is it stored in the correct location? maybe a way to check this, does this problem still occur with jpgs?

    Cheers

    Woody

  3. After you try opening a file press the <Esc> key followed by the <Ctrl>+<Shift>+S keys simultaneously and see if that fixes it.

     

    Good luck.

  4. Just worth a guess Don,

    Do you have the correct RAW plugin for your camera installed? or is it stored in the correct location? maybe a way to check this, does this problem still occur with jpgs?

    Cheers

    Woody

     

    Hi Woody, yes...I thought of that one myself and downloaded the latest RAW plugin from Adobe for CS3 and followed the instructions to remove the old file and install the new one etc.

     

    But to be 100% certain I did it again and installed ACR 4.6 in Common Files-Adobe-Plug ins-CS3-File Formats, but the problem is the same.

     

    It occurs will all file formats - soon as I go to "Open" the dialog box very briefly is seen and then dissapears again and the program seems to lock up.

     

    Don

  5. Hi Woody, yes...I thought of that one myself and downloaded the latest RAW plugin from Adobe for CS3 and followed the instructions to remove the old file and install the new one etc.

     

    But to be 100% certain I did it again and installed ACR 4.6 in Common Files-Adobe-Plug ins-CS3-File Formats, but the problem is the same.

     

    It occurs will all file formats - soon as I go to "Open" the dialog box very briefly is seen and then dissapears again and the program seems to lock up.

     

    Don

     

     

    STOP PRESS..... I just rebooted the computer and this time it is working fine and I can open files as required. So it must have been something I did when I installed the latest ACR last time!

     

    Operator error - again!

     

    Thanks a lot for the responses, greatly appreciated.

     

    Don

  6. Glad you solved it. When the program appears to lock up, it is likely that the Open File dialog still has focus even though it can not be seen (for instance positioned off screen, possibly a result of a change in resolution on the PC) and being a modal window it needs to be dealt with before the main program will work once more. Hence pressing the <Esc> key, which will close the window, and the other key sequence would reset the windows to their default positions. Worth trying if it happens you again, might be easier than a reinstall and a reboot !

     

    Take care

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.