I'm with MikeO - I've never understood why low-volume masks suddenly became the hot new thing, but if I had to guess, I'd say "marketing."
My favorite mask used to be the huge Mares thing (I can't remember the name now) with two extra windows on the sides and two more on the bottom, angled down. Ugly to look at, and very high volume, but very comfortable, and the bottom windows (with plain glass) made it much easier to read small numbers on a wrist computer with a small display (like the unimportant ones that tell you how many minutes you're supposed to stay at what depth to avoid bad things happening). Or figure out which way a pygmy sea horse is facing. I'm shortsighted and use prescription panes in the main lenses, so it's sometimes hard to see things that are small.
The side-windows sound like a gimmick, but they weren't. They were actually angled back slightly, so when you looked sideways, you could actually see a bit behind you. Particularly nice if you're buddying with a diver who needs keeping an eye on.
Unfortunately, there was an intrinsic problem with the design - the frames tended to crack. I went through two before I gave up. I think Mares doesn't make them any more. If they brought it back with the design flaw fixed, I'd buy another in a minute.
My main mask for the past couple years has been the Mares Liberator. Black silicone. Medium-volume, reasonably comfortable. My backup mask (which I take with me on every dive in a pocket on my harness) is a BigEye. I don't like it as much as the Liberator. One reason is that the design seems to trap bubbles more easily, particularly if the mask is angled at all downwards. My primary second stage is quite small, but this doesn't seem to be a problem with the Liberator.
The key issue with a masks, as far as I'm concerned, is fit. Since some faces are broad, others narrow, with differently shaped and curved foreheads, temples, cheeks, etc., the mask that fits me perfectly may be terrible for you, and vice versa. There's certainly no one single "best" mask for everyone. If a mask doesn't fit right, then it will leak, and a leaking mask will ruin a dive.
Robert Delfs