Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Waterproofing your remote

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Waterproofing your remote

6 posts
  1. I want to buy the Nikon ML-L3 wireless remote, would it work underwater? if so is there a way to make this waterproof to 30m?

     

    Cheers

    Woody :)

  2. Well, I'm certain a housing could be made with a spring-protected external button to access the remote button, same as on a camera housing, so pressure didn't just end up holding the button down all the time. But I'd be worried about the effective range.

     

    In the same way visible light is absorbed much quicker in water at the red vs. blue end of the spectrum, infrared attenuation in water is even greater. See the chart below linked from Wikipedia:

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Water_ab...on_spectrum.png

     

    I don't know exactly what wavelength these operate on, but with the combination of internal reflection loss to get the signal out of whatever housing you have (through a polycarbonate window or whatnot), plus high attenuation through any significant distance of water, might result in something that's just unreasonably short-range for effective use.

  3. Thanks.

    I think this question may actually deserve a wooden spoon award! :)

  4. you do know aquatica has an UW cable release using an ikelite pin connector, meaning you can get an ikelike 15' extension cord and add pieces together etc. I just got the 15' extension and have yet to try it.

  5. you do know aquatica has an UW cable release using an ikelite pin connector, meaning you can get an ikelike 15' extension cord and add pieces together etc. I just got the 15' extension and have yet to try it.

     

    Please report back when you try it. :).

     

    Bo

    Edited by fotoscubo714
  6. will do, I have already used the remote and 3' extension for one session of pole-camming tiger sharks. the remote worked great, but unfortunately i had yet to get the feel for aiming the camera and most were poorly framed. so i just got in the water instead. will let you know when i try it out on a dive with the 15' extension. Cheers,

     

    Chris

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.