Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Second hand strobes

Started by Banana Joe ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Second hand strobes

10 posts
  1. Hello there,

     

    I recently picked up 2 x DS125 of eBay, it came with two sync cords arms charger and the gubbins, at a bargin price!

     

    Only problem is, one strobes modelling light doesnt work (by looking in the manual it looks an easy fix) the other doesnt fie though. It makes all the right noises and when on the 'test' setting does what it is supposed to, but it doesnt fire. Every so often I can hear it topping up the flash. Iv tried it with both ends of a dual sync cord and a single sync cord but nothing works.

     

    I can see that what I though was a bargin is soon going to turn very £££ heavy :blush:

     

    Cheers in advance for any help, Joe

  2. You dont come from Slovenia do you!?

  3. You dont come from Slovenia do you!?

     

    Nope, but I am a college student.

     

    Joe

  4. I just sold one to a guy n Slovenia...just checking as it just came back from Ikelite and I sent it straight off withiout testing it myself, just checking, sorry to hear of your problem, no point in telling you of the problems of eBay. Have you already giving the seller feedback? If so, have you not contacted him to give him a chance to refund you before you report him, I assume it said in the ad fully worlking order or something similar?

    Strobes can be touchy things with the sync cords, I had problems with my ikelite when I started off, and also with my new inons, have you tried swapping the cords also? and where you atre connecting them? Have they been back to ikelite for their toggele pawl upgrade? if so do you know when?

  5. I just sold one to a guy n Slovenia...just checking as it just came back from Ikelite and I sent it straight off withiout testing it myself, just checking, sorry to hear of your problem, no point in telling you of the problems of eBay. Have you already giving the seller feedback? If so, have you not contacted him to give him a chance to refund you before you report him, I assume it said in the ad fully worlking order or something similar?

    Strobes can be touchy things with the sync cords, I had problems with my ikelite when I started off, and also with my new inons, have you tried swapping the cords also? and where you atre connecting them? Have they been back to ikelite for their toggele pawl upgrade? if so do you know when?

     

    The listing said something along the lines of 'Used for 2 weeks then stored in Peli case for 3 years' I wasnt expecting for there not to be an issue. From what I can tell they do not have the new battery. I'm not sure what to look for regarding the toggle pawl.

     

    I think the best bet is sending them to Ikelite, get them done properly, for the price I picked it all up for it should be worth it.

     

    Cheers for the help, Joe

    Edited by Banana Joe
  6. If you go to www.ikelite.com it will tell you how to tell about the recall but I guess if its 3 yeaers you will need it, there is a date stamp on the battery eg 02/08 from when they were manufactured, mine were that date and due for one, my 1 flash cost me £13 with £300 insurance to post back to them, I guess yopure looking at 4 times that for all 4 pieces. Duane Brighams not the best with his replies but at leat he replies, try them on email and see if theres a way round it or to see if theres a way you casn tell if theyve been with them, recently, or maybe try Kevin at Aquaphot, he may be able to help you, hes in the UK, just google that you'll find his details.

    Good luck buddy

  7. Try manually firing the strobes with just a paper clip and no sync cords, it may just be a sync cord problem. Sync cord wiring diagrams can be found on the Ikelite website Here. The diagrams are about half way down the page.

  8. Try manually firing the strobes with just a paper clip and no sync cords, it may just be a sync cord problem. Sync cord wiring diagrams can be found on the Ikelite website Here. The diagrams are about half way down the page.

     

    Thank, a quick test was exactly what I was looking for, but it wont fire :blush: I can get the ready light to blink using the same method but a different pin but it wont fire.

     

    I can get the other DS-125 to fire and the DS-160. When I fire the working DS-125 the ready light blinks and the audiable signal can be heard, when I try to fire the one that doesnt work the ready light blinks and the audiable signal can be heard but the strobe hasnt fired.

     

    Cheers, Joe

  9. Many things can get damaged in shipping - it's not always the sellers fault. It could be the flash tube was damaged.

     

    Ikelite should be able to fix it for you for a very reasonable price - if you can get the strobe back to them. I would of course pass on the repair cost to the eBay seller, or return the strobes to them.

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. It could be the flash tube was damaged.

     

    My thoughts too. Try examining the flash tube with a magnifying glass. Hairline cracks in the glass tube can be very hard to detect with the naked eye.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.