Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

flashlight in waterproof liquid rubber?

Started by softnuance ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

flashlight in waterproof liquid rubber?

10 posts
  1. I want to dip my flashlight in a liquid rubber to make it waterproof… would it still be waterproof 100 feet deep… or water would find a way under the rubber?

     

    Anybody has an experience with any liquid rubber?

     

     

    http://www.batteryspace.com/liquidrubberfo...atingclear.aspx

  2. You might have problems with either too thin of glass at the lens not surviving pressure, or a button getting depressed by pressure as well.

     

    Flashes/torches built for underwater aren't that expensive...why not just get one that's designed for it??

  3. You might have problems with either too thin of glass at the lens not surviving pressure, or a button getting depressed by pressure as well.

     

    Flashes/torches built for underwater aren't that expensive...why not just get one that's designed for it??

     

    For the thrill of playing with fun stuff like liquid rubber... an inner child thing.

     

    I also plan to change the glass, and solder a magnetic switch in replacement of the clicky button.

     

    I need at least 2000 lumens (effective) a both sides of my video camera to be able to light (for example) a turtle at 6-10 feet.

     

    I have a real underwater torch (UK Cannon 100 HID) that give around 500 lumens (effective or not), and I was surprised to see that it does not light that much when at 6-10 feet from the subject.

     

    In other words, when you want 5000 effective lumens to have to put thousands of dollars, or you do it yourself.

  4. For the thrill of playing with fun stuff like liquid rubber... an inner child thing.

     

    I also plan to change the glass, and solder a magnetic switch in replacement of the clicky button.

     

    I need at least 2000 lumens (effective) a both sides of my video camera to be able to light (for example) a turtle at 6-10 feet.

     

    I have a real underwater torch (UK Cannon 100 HID) that give around 500 lumens (effective or not), and I was surprised to see that it does not light that much when at 6-10 feet from the subject.

     

    In other words, when you want 5000 effective lumens you have to put thousands of dollars, or you do it yourself.

  5. Is this a one-shot deal? How will you change your batteries once it's full encased? Have you considered about heat issues once it's fully encased? That's a lot of lumens to be sealing up.

     

    Unless you're FULLY encasing the light, including the lens (which would reduce you light output as well), water will likely start to work it's way in at the edges before long. You may get a few dives out of it, but it's not a long term solution... you'll need to reapply, at a minimum, with some regularity. Most reports I've ready of using plasti-dip underwater eventually end up with people trying something else.

     

    The problem is the light spread of the UK light Canon is not ideal for diving unless you put diffusers on them, which significantly cut down the light output. Otherwise you have hot spots. Perhaps you could try one of those 21w+ DarkBusters set up for video? I believe a few have.

  6. The charger that i use gives the same 4.2V that the led circuit can tolerate, I'll still let the flashlight on "off" mode because i am not sure if the charger tension is perfectly linear like the batterie.

     

    So i can charge my batterie even when inside the flashlight, i just have to solder a waterproof connector that will go outside the housing.

     

    I dont think that the heat can be a problem under the ocean, but i'll have to try it.

     

    The solution for the lens light loss is a clear rubber coating... i am still looking for it, if i dont find it, i'll have to leave it uncoated.

  7. The solution for the lens light loss is a clear rubber coating... i am still looking for it, if i dont find it, i'll have to leave it uncoated.

     

    Try This I purchased a can of black the other at Home Hardware for $18.99 CAD before tax.

     

    A can of clear liquid rubber was sitting right next to the one I picked up.

  8. Try This I purchased a can of black the other at Home Hardware for $18.99 CAD before tax.

     

    A can of clear liquid rubber was sitting right next to the one I picked up.

     

     

    Thanks, I'll have to try it

  9. I think the better solution would be to transplant the guts of the 1000 lumen light into a home made housing. Or even just an old ikelite box.

  10. I think the better solution would be to transplant the guts of the 1000 lumen light into a home made housing. Or even just an old ikelite box.

     

    Ikelite makes real good Polycarbon housing. The problem is the thermal isolation. The LED needs a heat sink that need to be in contact with air or water.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.