Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Help! I can't decide - upgrade or stay put?!?

Started by ckhorne ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Help! I can't decide - upgrade or stay put?!?

5 posts
  1. I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I'd like to get some feedback from others here.

     

    I currently have a Hugyfot housing for my Canon XTi (10-22mm, 100mm macro, 60mm macro lenses). I love my Hugyfot - I'm a small guy and have small hands, so the size of the housing fits well. I feel very comfortable with the unit underwater, and know the housing very well at this point. However... I bought a Canon 5D MkII a couple months back, and am blown away by the new camera. I went Bonaire recently, and had to bring my current XTi + Hugyfot setup, plus my new camera and a couple lenses for it (17-40mm doesn't make much sense on a crop factor body. For that matter, my 24-105 doesn't, etiher).

     

    So... I started looking at replacing my Hugyfot housing with the 5D MkII model. Ouch - $3700 + ports. That's a chunk of change, but I hate carrying around two cameras when I go diving somewhere - my land camera and my diving camera. Nor do I like having two sets of lenses. For that matter, I'm only keeping a couple of lenses (EFS 10-22mm and EFS 60mm) because of the XTi and that housing. I considered Ikelite, which is a much cheaper option, but after having used my Hugyfot for 2-3 years, I just don't think I could get used to it.

     

    Any suggestions? Should I try to sell off the current housing and upgrade to a 5D2 housing? Are there benefits to hanging on to my old camera gear, even if I only use the lenses for underwater stuff? Is there even a market for my XTi + housing? Is it worth upgrading - ie- will it show in my pictures?

     

    Any other comments?

    post-2430-1258142943.jpg

    post-2430-1258142955.jpg

    post-2430-1258142962.jpg

  2. Just do it! you know you really want to! If it wasnt for eBay, things would be different, I got rid of my old kit so easily, all within a week. Yes theres a few XTi's out there, maybe sell it with the housing on the same auction, it might help.

    Good luck with whatever you decide, shame you never bought a Nikon :blush:

    Woody

     

    PS if you want c&c on those pics (I'm not the best one for it tho) look at your strobe positioning, and your shutter speed (IIRC) to create a more negative background..nice shots tho ;)

     

    Sorry if its not the best help, but at least its better than nothiong!

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  3. I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I'd like to get some feedback from others here.

     

    I currently have a Hugyfot housing for my Canon XTi (10-22mm, 100mm macro, 60mm macro lenses). I love my Hugyfot - I'm a small guy and have small hands, so the size of the housing fits well. I feel very comfortable with the unit underwater, and know the housing very well at this point. However... I bought a Canon 5D MkII a couple months back, and am blown away by the new camera. I went Bonaire recently, and had to bring my current XTi + Hugyfot setup, plus my new camera and a couple lenses for it (17-40mm doesn't make much sense on a crop factor body. For that matter, my 24-105 doesn't, etiher).

     

    So... I started looking at replacing my Hugyfot housing with the 5D MkII model. Ouch - $3700 + ports. That's a chunk of change, but I hate carrying around two cameras when I go diving somewhere - my land camera and my diving camera. Nor do I like having two sets of lenses. For that matter, I'm only keeping a couple of lenses (EFS 10-22mm and EFS 60mm) because of the XTi and that housing. I considered Ikelite, which is a much cheaper option, but after having used my Hugyfot for 2-3 years, I just don't think I could get used to it.

     

    Any suggestions? Should I try to sell off the current housing and upgrade to a 5D2 housing? Are there benefits to hanging on to my old camera gear, even if I only use the lenses for underwater stuff? Is there even a market for my XTi + housing? Is it worth upgrading - ie- will it show in my pictures?

     

    Any other comments?

    I bit the bullet and sold my 40D, S&S housing, 10-17 Tokina, and 60mm and replaced with 5D MKII, 15mm Fisheye, 16-35, and 100mm...I'm not convinced I made the right move...only time will tell!

    Your pics look great to me so if I were you I would stick with what you have and are comfortable with and pick up a housing for the 5D when prices come down or you can get a used one.

  4. The Sea&Sea housing for the 5DMKII is very nice and compact. It is smaller than the ikelite housing for my previous G9. I don't think you will be disappointed with the 5DMKII. I haven't been actively marketing my old setup but have had some nibbles. Like the other person said, I don't think you will have a hard time selling your old rig.

  5. Well, I finally just caved - the ability to play with live preview and video underwater pushed me over the edge. :)

     

    I listed it here on wetpixel:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33189

     

    If I don't get any bites, I might try eBay... I'd rather see it go to someone who will actually use it.

     

     

    I did a good bit of reading here last night on different housings for the 5D MkII... it looks like it comes down to Aquatica or Hugyfot for me. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyplace in Atlanta that carries Aquatica, so I can't easily get my hands on one to try it out. If I had my choice, it'd be Hugyfot, but the cost difference and availability of parts has me considering Aquatica....

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.