Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

First trip with DSLR coming up..

Started by ToddB ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

First trip with DSLR coming up..

5 posts
  1. So In a couple of weeks I'm heading to the Galapagos with my new D300, 2 x YS-250s, and S&S housing. I've previously shot with a small G9, and am a little (read: very) apprehensive about diving & traveling with such a big/heavy/un-hydrodynamic piece of kit.

     

    First, what is standard practice as far as attaching one of these things to your harness? Do ya'll clip into your camera with some rope and a bolt snap or something, in case you drop the thing?

     

    Second, what do you recommend bringing as far as repair/spare parts go? So far I've got a bunch of o-rings and grease, spare batteries for the strobes, and scratch repair for my dome (nx fisheye acrylic). Anything else I shouldn't travel without? This is working out to be a phemnonally expensive undertaking and I'd hate to be out of commission over some stupid 5$ part.

     

    Thanks!

  2. Hi Todd,

    Don't worry about the size of the rig in the water. You'll get used to it very quickly. It's a good idea to practise as much as you can in the pool before you go so you don't spend the first few days figuring out where to point the strobes, etc.

     

    I'd guess about half of us use some kind of handle to get the rig to the back of the boat. I made mine out of my dog's leash with a couple of SS clips from the dive shop. The trick is to make it just long enough so that clipped to a D-ring on your BC and your still be able to extend your camera if you need to. If your rig is a little heavy you can also let the strap take the weight during long safety stops. Mine is 18" long.

     

    2372529772_70312638a6_o.jpg

     

     

    Spare kit is a subject discussed here on occasion. Here is a recent thread on the subject. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33084

     

    One thing I have noticed using the dual 250's, the Y cord looks a lot like a handle to the folks on the deck trying to help. Head down to the hardware store and pickup a couple of feet or so of black velcro strap material an inch wide. Cut it up in short lengths to wrap the sych cords to your arms. Works great for keeping the cords from floating around, too.

     

    Have a great time in the Galapagos! Let us know how it goes.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. I don't clip my camera and never had a problem, but a lot of people do. If you are going to, I would just use a thin cable with a brass clip and clip it to the BC, but don't make it too short or too long, or you can make just a short cable but only attach it to you on ascent/descent.

     

    As for what to take, o-rings and grease don't take much space (or weight), so bring them. Spare batteries are good to have but not essential. The only thing in my kit that ever failed were the strobe sync cords, so I would bring at least one extra (I travel with two extras).

  4. I'll be watching this thread Todd. I'm going on my maiden voyage in 2 weeks with my new (first) DSLR rig too. As far as a strap, I just got a BC connector. I like Steve's idea about the handle. Also like Steve mentioned, my Photo guy told me to go to Staples or Office depot and they sell velcro strips (about 4" long, 1/2" wide) for attaching cords too the arms. What exactly is the scratch repair stuff?? Where'd you get it?? One thing I did find useful, for traveling to and from the boat, was a thread here about soft sided coolers. I bought one, that holds my entire rig assembled. It's nice and durable, well padded, plus you can fill with some fresh water after a dive and use as a little rinse tank :blush:. It totally flattens and fits nicely in the bottom of my suitcase for travel. Here's the one I got....

     

     

    http://www.aocoolers.com/index.cfm?fuseact...mp;ParentCat=22

    Edited by sideways
  5. I was a little nervous the first time as well - Cocos. One of the skiff drivers made me a macrame handle for the housing (Sea&Sea). I use a lanyard attached to my wrist and the handle. The lanyard is the type that can be snapped to be closer to your wrist or can be unsnapped to allow you more maneuverability. I use the lanyard because if you lose the rig (i.e. drop it and it falls to the bottom of the ocean) you don't have an insurance claim. My lanyard came off on my last trip because I was not using strobes and I was freaked out every time I got in the water.

    The only time I really noticed that it was creating a little drag was when half the group decided they wanted to swim fast after nothing. I simply could not keep up with that. But no issues at all in currents etc.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.