Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

G11... need help

Started by cemacur ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

G11... need help

13 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I made an order for my new G11. I am a newbie living in Turkey. So i dont have much options here for geting information or testing the housings and the strobes.

     

    Need your suggestions for my setup.

     

    Which Housing with which strobe?

    Ike housing with DS strobes?

    Canon Housing with Inon? or other?

     

    Do i need a WA lens? or a Macro Addon?

     

    Please help. Thanks

     

    Cem

  2. Hi,

     

    I am no expert, but I have a G11, my planned setup will be the Canon housing and an Inon Z240 which I already have. An Inon D2000 would also be sufficient. You will only be able to optically fire the strobes using the Canon housing. I have used this same setup with a G9 and an Ixus in the past and have been very pleased with the results. I am a big fan of the Inon strobes.

     

    The Ikelite housing will allow you to go deeper and will allow you to attach a strobe using the sync chord, it would also allow you to add macro lenses more easily but would probably work out more expensive...

     

     

     

    Cheers,

    Mark

  3. Hi,

     

    I am no expert, but I have a G11, my planned setup will be the Canon housing and an Inon Z240 which I already have. An Inon D2000 would also be sufficient. You will only be able to optically fire the strobes using the Canon housing. I have used this same setup with a G9 and an Ixus in the past and have been very pleased with the results. I am a big fan of the Inon strobes.

     

    The Ikelite housing will allow you to go deeper and will allow you to attach a strobe using the sync chord, it would also allow you to add macro lenses more easily but would probably work out more expensive...

     

     

     

    Cheers,

    Mark

     

     

    Thanks alot Mark.

     

    Any help from the experts?

     

    Cem

  4. Hard to answer a question about "what you need" when you haven't defined "what you want to do" ...

  5. I have a G9...

     

    IMHO if you wish to get the max from your G11 you will have an Ike housing and a couple of optically fired INON strobes. Get Z-240s if you think you may upgrade to DSLR.

     

    INON glass is great and, I confess, I dont know which will be the best for the G11. Hopefully for w/a probably the 100 28 AD (plus dome) will be OK and the AD (stackable) macro glass will work as the G11 has a 28mm lens.

     

    I'm not sure but find a good INON dealer who can help.

     

    HTH, Tim

  6. Hopefully for w/a probably the 100 28 AD (plus dome) will be OK

     

    I don't think that worked well on the G10 ... which has the same lens.

     

    I think the best w/a options are the FishEye Fix Housing and the 15mm rectilinear port/lens or the FishEye dome port/lens.

  7. Hi Jeremy,

     

    I certainly snoozed that option. Thanks for the heads up!

     

    A quick scan on the www reveals this lens / port has a miserly 101 degree FOV so way behind the (unfortunately incompatible) INON w/a glass, i.e the UWL-100 and dome (130 degrees), UWL-100 28 AD and dome (150 degrees) or UFL-165 AD (165 degrees).

     

    If I were upgrading from my G9 to another compact I would base my choice of camera on compatability with any of this INON glass (and of course, a housing!) and a capability to shoot RAW.

     

    An IXUS and Ikelite Ultra Compact housing looks good and a 35mm lens model will accept the UFL-165. The CHDK hack offers RAW so this may be a worthy consideration...

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  8. Hard to answer a question about "what you need" when you haven't defined "what you want to do" ...

     

    Hi jeremy,

     

    I want to shoot good pictures :)

    need help about easy connection between housing and strobe. and when i upgrade to DSLR i want my strobe to be useful with the new setup.

     

    Thanks

     

    Cem

  9. I have a G9...

     

    IMHO if you wish to get the max from your G11 you will have an Ike housing and a couple of optically fired INON strobes. Get Z-240s if you think you may upgrade to DSLR.

     

    INON glass is great and, I confess, I dont know which will be the best for the G11. Hopefully for w/a probably the 100 28 AD (plus dome) will be OK and the AD (stackable) macro glass will work as the G11 has a 28mm lens.

     

    I'm not sure but find a good INON dealer who can help.

     

    HTH, Tim

     

     

    Thanks a lot Tim,

     

    Normally i am planning to buy a ike housing and a Z-240 but not have much information about them.

     

    And there is no good Inon dealer around who can help me.

     

    Cheers

     

    Cem

  10. I want to shoot good pictures :)

     

    Guess you need some good stuff :)

     

    Good luck!

  11. I think it depends on your budget/needs... Early this spring I gave the wife a G9 with the IKE housing and strobes... its a very nice setup and works great... her complaint??? It too big, bulky and expensive.. but again it does the job quite well...

     

    I also took my G10 housed in the Canon housing that I paid ~ $200 for... used the built in flash, set it to the underwater mode

    and shot with it....

     

    At the end of the trip I was surprised how well the pictures turned out with the on-board flash and the canon housing...

    As was the wife... so I ended up buying her a canon housing for her G9 too...

     

    and now I have a brand new (used once) Ike housing for a G9 that she say's I need to sell...

  12. I have only ever used fibre sync cables (I have an Canon Ixus and dual S2000 strobes) and it works very well - never had any issues with reliability.

     

    I can't compare it to electrical, since I've never tried it, but I do have one question for anyone who has used both. Since my S2000 strobes are triggered by my Ixus strobe, the time period between flashes is dictated by the time it takes my Ixus to recharge its flash. When I'm photographing things that move quickly I often get only one shot off, because the flash hasn't charged quickly enough for the second/third/fourth shot that I would have liked to take.

     

    The S2000 "ready" lights blink away since they recharge in about a second... but they're useless to me until my Ixus has finished charging its flash... very frustrating. I can't help but think that with an electrical sync cable I could get a shot off every second or so.

     

    Has anyone else noticed this?

     

    Thanks

  13. I have only ever used fibre sync cables (I have an Canon Ixus and dual S2000 strobes) and it works very well - never had any issues with reliability.

     

    I can't compare it to electrical, since I've never tried it, but I do have one question for anyone who has used both. Since my S2000 strobes are triggered by my Ixus strobe, the time period between flashes is dictated by the time it takes my Ixus to recharge its flash. When I'm photographing things that move quickly I often get only one shot off, because the flash hasn't charged quickly enough for the second/third/fourth shot that I would have liked to take.

     

    The S2000 "ready" lights blink away since they recharge in about a second... but they're useless to me until my Ixus has finished charging its flash... very frustrating. I can't help but think that with an electrical sync cable I could get a shot off every second or so.

     

    Has anyone else noticed this?

     

    Thanks

    I used a G9 with both electrical and optical connections. I never noticed any limitation with the optical setup ... but ... I would qualify that by saying that I don't shoot much 'action' underwater and I always shot in manual with the internal flash on the lowest power setting.

     

    If I wanted that kind of rapid fire shooting underwater, I'd definitely go DSLR as there are a lot of 'slow' points in the capture chain for any P&S ... auto-focus, buffers, etc.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.