Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Posting competition images

Started by loftus ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Posting competition images

3 posts
  1. I enjoy posting images here on WP for general feedback. It occurred to me though that this may be inadvisable if I plan to enter images in a competition, particularly those where WP pros are the judges. Any thoughts on this Alex et al?

  2. I enjoy posting images here on WP for general feedback. It occurred to me though that this may be inadvisable if I plan to enter images in a competition, particularly those where WP pros are the judges. Any thoughts on this Alex et al?

    I've thought about the same a bunch of times. My gut tells me not to post here if you plan to enter any contests.

     

    I've taken the opposite approach ... I'm gonna keep posting here and stop entering contests ... :)

  3. I generally find that I know a decent percentage of the images (which often increases as you get towards the finals) in many of the competitions I judge and I have no problem with remaining objective. Afterall you are responsible to the competition and it is very rare to see any bias towards specific competitors on the competitions I have judged. With a decent panel of judges the other judges would argue against a poor choice.

     

    In my experience, most images I have seen before are not from the forums bit from other competition results! It often interesting to see images at high res that you have only seen at low res before - and sometimes it is pretty obvious that some contests are only judged with low res images!

     

    However, I do think it is important that judges keep an eye on forums, mags and other competition results to have a good appreciation of what is standout images these days. And also what subjects are fresh etc.

     

    So I don't think it would lead to any bias, but I do feel that some images have their greatest impact when they are seen for the first time. So any exposure can be a bad idea. Many competitors keep their potential competition images off their websites etc until competition season is over.

     

    Alex

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.