Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikkor 10.5mm + 1.5X teleconverter

Started by Trevor Rees ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikkor 10.5mm + 1.5X teleconverter

11 posts
  1. I'm after a bit of advice. I know that there are a few wet pixel members that have experimented with using a 10.5mm Nikkor with a teleconverter.

     

    The technique of using this combination for Close focus wide angle shots has interested me for a while but I'm still not quite sure what the point is.

     

    I have experimented (in air only) and found that my Nikkor 10.5 + 1.5 X Kenko converter gives a pretty much identicle angle of coverage as a Tokina 10-17 zoom at 17 mm.

     

    For a close focus wide angle shot I have set these two lens cominations to the same F stop to see what happens. I have found that the Nikkor cominbination appears to give more depth of field but at the same time gives more pronounced barrel distortion than the Tokina. Is this all there is to it?

     

    Can anyone comment on their experience of using this set up and why if at all they might continue using it?

     

    Trev

  2. i would think the angle of view should be about the same, correct. (i don't own the 10-17 so i am not sure)

     

    the key with the 10.5 and TC is the fact you can focus right up to the glass on your port (kinda hard to light properly mind you)

     

    With the 10-17 on 17 i am not sure what the minimum focus distance is.

     

    So the benefit is being able to focus super close and still fill the frame with a relatively small subject.

  3. There's no advantage to using the 10.5 with TC if you have the 10-17 with TC except if you were in low light and the f-stop disadvantage of the 10-17 vs the the 10.5 were an issue. The 10-17 actually focuses closer than the 10.5 which also focuses pretty close.

    So if you were thinking of trying the technique as Mike describes, the 10-17 with TC will give you the same effect as the 10.5 at the 10mm end, but with the added flexibility of zooming out to 17 (24mm). But you are right the 10.5 with TC is the same as the Tokina zoomed to 14 or 15mm.

    Edited by loftus
  4. Trevor, like Loftus said, the 10.5mm + 1.4x was only for people who didn't own the Tokina 10-17mm.

     

    Scott

  5. And a Tokina 10-17 with a 1.4x is for people who didn't want to buy a 12-24mm.

  6. I've used the 10.5 w/1.5 tc with some success. Alex lent me his small dome (He's very high on this set-up BTW) which really helps getting proper lighting. I'm looking for one (small Subal dome) if anyone has one to sell. Can you zoom the 10-17 with a TC on? I know it won't on my Subal.

     

    Rand

  7. I am with Randapex. In order to take advantage of this kind of combinations you need the smallest dome you can find. I have one so small that made me file the lens sunshade in order to use it, but lets me get really close to anything.

  8. And a Tokina 10-17 with a 1.4x is for people who didn't want to buy a 12-24mm.

    Not sure I agree with this. The 12-24 will not focus on the dome, and of course is a rectilinear lens, with a different perspective / distortion and edge sharpness characteristics.

  9. Trevor, like Loftus said, the 10.5mm + 1.4x was only for people who didn't own the Tokina 10-17mm.

     

    Scott

     

    3406934259_clf8f60449.jpg

     

    Rot!

     

    When the dome is very close to the subject, the subject appears relatively larger (and potentially more distorted) than it would with a comparable angle of view without the teleconverter.

     

    Whether or not that produces an interesting image is another matter...

     

    Tim

     

    :)

     

    PS I'm not sure why the open-access Flickr image isn't coming up...

    Edited by tdpriest
  10. Slightly off topic but on the Canon side I have been experimenting with a Sigma 10mm fisheye with a 1.4 teleconverter on my fullframe 5D2. I am really impressed - its considerably wider than the 15mm fisheye by itself and the corner sharpness is better. There is a meniscule amt of vignetting but that is easly fixed. The dificulty, as mentioned, is lighting.

  11. Can you zoom the 10-17 with a TC on? I know it won't on my Subal.
    I believe it is possible in a Subal. I asked Ryan about it a few weeks ago and he said there was a Subal zoom gear that did the job. I was going to get one until I discovered that the zoom gear off my Sigma 17-70 would do the job with a little padding. I haven't used it in anger yet but will be trying it out over Christmas.

     

    Before you rush out and get a Sigma 17-70 zoom gear to try this I should state that I got my zoom gear before there was an official Subal solution. Mine is for another lens (exactly which one has been lost in the mists of time) and required a little padding to make it fit the 17-70.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.