Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal FE2 Dome Port Help Please

Started by Andy Morrison ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal FE2 Dome Port Help Please

7 posts
  1. I just picked up an excellent second hand FE2 dome port here on Wetpixel. I also bought the 18/3 extension ring to be used with my Tokina 10-17mm. This is my first Subal rig and should the port be able to rotate 360 degrees in the extension ring? The extension ring locks into the housing fine and so does the dome port without the extension ring. I am worried that with a little bit of bad luck this could rotate off during a dive. Any tips to prevent this from happening? I thought this has been discussed but couldn't find the answer.

     

    Second, it came with a removed shade. Any tips for re-attaching the shade?

     

    Thanks for any help!

  2. I just picked up an excellent second hand FE2 dome port here on Wetpixel. I also bought the 18/3 extension ring to be used with my Tokina 10-17mm. This is my first Subal rig and should the port be able to rotate 360 degrees in the extension ring? The extension ring locks into the housing fine and so does the dome port without the extension ring. I am worried that with a little bit of bad luck this could rotate off during a dive. Any tips to prevent this from happening? I thought this has been discussed but couldn't find the answer.

     

    Second, it came with a removed shade. Any tips for re-attaching the shade?

     

    Thanks for any help!

    The port should lock with a 90 degree turn to the extension ring just as the extension ring rotates and locks onto the housing. The shade should snap onto the dome and be secured with two small hex screws on either side (top and bottom) of the rim. It is an important habit to get into with Subal to check the alignment and rotatation of the extension and port before getting in the water. I do this by making sure the labels on the ring and port are aligned at 12 o'clock TDC with the housing during assembly, before and immediately after entering the water. They can and do rotate, and I've witnessed a flood (not mine) as a result.

  3. This is my first Subal rig and should the port be able to rotate 360 degrees in the extension ring?

     

    No. You have lost the pin from the threads that stops it after a 90 degree rotation. You should get a replacement pin. I'll post a picture.

     

    post-713-1258550973.jpg

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  4. No. You have lost the pin from the threads that stops it after a 90 degree rotation. You should get a replacement pin. I'll post a picture.

     

    post-713-1258550973.jpg

     

    Alex

     

    Perfect, thanks for the information.

  5. OK, so I've got the pin problem taken care of, but I still can't get the shade to pop back on. I don't want to pry it on and risk damaging the dome. But I'd like to use it if possible. Any solutions to getting it to pop on?

  6. Is it the older hard plastic one, or the newer semi-flexible one?

     

    The newer style will pop on it's just a bit of a struggle. With the old hard one I would try to warm the shade (not cook it) in the oven first and then try it.

  7. Is it the older hard plastic one, or the newer semi-flexible one?

     

    The newer style will pop on it's just a bit of a struggle. With the old hard one I would try to warm the shade (not cook it) in the oven first and then try it.

     

    Well, after a bit of struggle I managed to snap it in half. It goes on easy now but it won't stay on. :-) I did try the warming thing and that didn't work either. I may just figure out a way to further cut down and secure the two broken pieces. Thanks for your reply.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.