Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Learning Final Cut Express

Started by loftus ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Learning Final Cut Express

8 posts
  1. OK; so I started my first video editing attempts. Started with iMovie, but quickly saw it's limitations, particularly with regard to color adjustments. Went out and bought Final Cut Express, can't ever leave the Mac store without buying something.

    Any recommendations on how to teach myself this program; tuorials, books etc

  2. OK; so I started my first video editing attempts. Started with iMovie, but quickly saw it's limitations, particularly with regard to color adjustments. Went out and bought Final Cut Express, can't ever leave the Mac store without buying something.

    Any recommendations on how to teach myself this program; tuorials, books etc

     

     

    Look through the tutorials that come with it, a good place to start. This Quick Start Final Cut may help a bit. Not fully done and not pretty but may help get you going....

  3. For hands on training, go to your apple store and sign up the workshops and Apple One to One. They will work you through FCP which is FCE's big brother. Books and DVDs I've personally never liked due to the lack of interaction. However not all Apple Stores have these qualified types so you'll have to check the website of the stores closest to you.

     

    For DVDs, Ripple and Lynda usually do a decent job for starting out. Your local FCPUG will also be a good resource. The LAFCPUG put me on a few filters I never knew existed. And now that filter is used on a TV show because I recommended it to an editor buddy of mine. He now lurks in the LAFCPUG when he can.

    Good luck.

  4. When I started on FCP I used the ripple training DVD's and found them great. I would definitely recommend them.

     

    J

  5. Ripple training will soon be the training one needs to study for their certification exams. Steve Martin, who heads Ripple is all excited. The only bad thing is that it will be by downloads rather than purchasing a disc so you will want to burn the downloads to disc to save HD room.

    Steve

  6. Thanks guys. Signed up with Lynda.com, and started working through the videos, and so far seems pretty straight forward.

    Unfortunately on Mac One-to-one it seems you have to sign up within two weeks of buying a new computer. I bought my Mac Pro about 3-4 months ago.

  7. Jeff, go to the store and ask nicely... they aren't usually sticklers for detail, esp in the LA stores. But then again, many are unemployed or barely employed editors and SPEFX guys. Dunno about your area though.

  8. Dunno about your area though.

     

     

    I live in the wrong area, I actually asked for the FCP "expert" to ask a question - turns out they were a college student whose response "I am just starting to learn Final Cut in school." Didn't help much with my question ;)

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.